3. Pacific Eden
The headline should say it all. Both myself and my family have been on a few cruises - three of them on P&O - and this had to be the worst we had collectively ever experienced. There's a few problems with the P&O Eden - it's touted as the brand new star alongside its sister ship Aria - and apparently features world class everything. I'll start with the positives and then list the negatives. Positives: - Great design in common areas like the bars and restaurants. The Waterfront looks the best it ever has. - That's it. Negatives: - While some of the common areas were completely overhauled by interior designers with unlimited spending, it seems like the money ran out when it came to the rooms which (with exception to The Penthouse suite) were tacky and straight from the late 80s / early 90s. I stayed in a suite and I was so disappointed to walk in to the room and see it not reflect the rest of the ship - The Food - P&O used to have a reputation for fresh, interesting food that excited people, in fact we would look forward to a sitting at The Waterfront for dinner to see what the daily menu was. The food on board (with exception to Salt Grill and Dragon Lady) is pathetic. It doesn't change frequently enough and when it does, it's often served cold, bland and just plain weird. With exception to the above two mentioned, i's actually the worst food I've experienced on a cruise. - The Restaurants - I'll say that after an initial complaint we were given good service, but The Waterfront on this ship has no reservations system which means massively long lines (average wait was about 50 minutes) and then when you sit down, mediocre food at best. Also, no reservations means you don't get a chance to establish a relationship with your waiters and service staff and so you just feel uninspired to be there. On their other ships the experience was brilliant. - The staff - they're often brilliant and work very hard but in particular the staff at The Pantry (the ships new no buffet concept) really looked very miserable and didn't interact with customers at all. Also, because you have to ask for food you don't get warmly greeted or offered servings, you're dished out food with the attitude of a lunch lady that's pissed off. It just makes it an even more unpleasant experience than it needs to be. - The ship itself - it's tiny, or at least it feels that way. There's no vibe to the ship, nothing to see, nothing really to do, there's no announcements (or if they are they're rare, and about the casino) and the ship itself therefore lacks personality. For a brand new offering with a new look I was expecting P&O to reinvent the way we cruise, instead it feels overall like there was a lot of focus on what colour the carpet should be and no attention paid to if people are actually enjoying themselves. Finally, our cabin itself - such poor condition - rusting pipes that leaked water, pool cleaners that sprayed us with water while we were sitting on our deck, toilets that blocked frequently despite normal use, odd smells, a distinct lack of customer communication that is SO frustrating it makes your holiday seem like a chore. It's not uncommon to have to call three or four times to follow up on if anything is being done to fix your situation, the staff simply don't care, forget, or just don't believe in following up with you to let you know what's going on. This was honestly the worst experience I've had on board a P&O ship which is really disappointing to write.

Escape from Eden; P&O should be ashamed.

Pacific Eden Cruise Review by AdamTravella

Positives:

- That's it.

Negatives:

AdamTravella’s Full Rating Summary
Get P&O Australia Pacific Eden price drops

While some of the common areas were completely overhauled by interior designers with unlimited spending, it seems like the money ran out when it came to the rooms which (with exception to The Penthouse suite) were tacky and straight from the late 80s / early 90s. I stayed in a suite and I was so disappointed to walk in to the room and see it not reflect the rest of the ship. Our cabin itself - such poor condition - rusting pipes that leaked water, pool cleaners that sprayed us with water while we were sitting on our deck, toilets that blocked frequently despite normal use, odd smells, a distinct lack of customer communication that is SO frustrating it makes your holiday seem like a chore. It's not uncommon to have to call three or four times to follow up on if anything is being done to fix your situation, the staff simply don't care, forget, or just don't believe in following up with you to let you know what's going on.