3. Costa neoRiviera
If I were to sum up the performance of my first Costa Cruise Experience in one word it would be "LAZY". Background: I am a retired Hotel Manager, having managed 3,4 & 5 Star Hotels in seven countries. This is my 5th cruise. I am 61 years of age, therefore not young nor old. My wife and I chose this cruise because of the ports of call that we had never previously visited. It also was not very expensive. We did not have great expectations of Costa, just average. Cruise Date: January 11th in Dubai. Booked inclusive drinks package. Review: Stateroom: 8209. Perfectly acceptable. Very good beds, excellent shower. A/C OK. Housekeeping very good until check out. Food: Breakfast Buffet OK. Juice and Coffee just 3* Tried the Restaurant one day it was awful, didn't retry. Eggs Benedict inedible, hard eggs and disgusting hollandaise sauce. Lunch: Lunch Buffet, our favourite meal with Costa, lots of variety and nearly always something that appealed to us. Bravo. Dinner: Generally disappointing. Food not very hot. Certainly plentiful but not very tasty. Our waiter, Ferdinand, was very good. Wines very varied, some good some undrinkable. Suggestion: WHY WHY WHY do Costa charge extra for Pizza? We would have had a Pizza for dinner on multiple occasions during our cruise. It would provide more profit for Costa and more satisfaction for your customers. The Lazy aspect of your food service concerns the absence of Themed Evenings which would cost very little but have great impact. Bars: Although we were on "inclusive package" we only consumed one beer with lunch and the waited for cocktail before dinner. Costa clearly have some bar members who should not be employed and are not happy in their work! Mostly boys but some girls too! They are not managed or motivated.Non inclusive guests pay for water when Buffet Restaurant not open! Once again no financial cost involved in putting this right. Entertainment/ Animation: Very poor in nearly every respect. WHY WHY WHY do Costa insist on having noise by the pool directed by this team almost ALL of the day. On this ship this is not a big area so it is difficult to escape the incessant noise. I completely understand the morning exercises and maybe a half hour game but MOVE the animation for most of the day to an area where it is not disturbing their guests who are trying to relax in the sun! The music in the Saint Paul de Vence in the evening, provided by a band was mostly very old fashioned Oompa Loompa variety or seemed to be played for the benefit of the staff, who insisted on playing infantile games with a few willing customers. Just like in the day, why not let their guests enjoy their surroundings without inflicting silly games on them. The shows are for that purpose. I did speak to one of the team about this as the dance floor was full of happy people dancing to very good music from the band until they changed it. Then the dance floor was empty and people went to bed! Madness.....and again no cost to put it right! Until the second half of the trip, there was no information on the places of interest that we were soon to visit. We then had a talk by Allesandra before we went to Muscat. She was outstanding and the best Ambassador for Costa that we encountered. WHY WHY WHY had nobody done anything like this before. Incredibly there was a "Meet your fellow English Speaking guests" 3 days before the end. Clever ? On our last day on board we were asked to vacate our room at 5.30 in the morning! When I mentioned lazy at the beginning of this appraisal, this is a perfect example. Apparently 5 per cent of guests do depart on this particular day (a day later than the vast majority). Why not leave them alone until 8am. There is plenty of work for the housekeeping staff to do without giving its valued customers a very poor final impression of Costa. I complained and was told that I could stay until 7.30, but my Cabin Steward entered my room at 6.05 and Reception/Housekeeping rang at 6.50 and 7.05 Overall, wife and I had a pleasant 3 weeks BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER WITH RELATIVELY LITTLE MORE EFFORT

What Might Have Been

Costa neoRiviera Cruise Review by Shuggie

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

Background:

This is my 5th cruise. I am 61 years of age, therefore not young nor old.

We did not have great expectations of Costa, just average.

Cruise Date: January 11th in Dubai. Booked inclusive drinks package.

Review:

Food:

Breakfast Buffet OK. Juice and Coffee just 3*

Wines very varied, some good some undrinkable.

Once again no financial cost involved in putting this right.

Entertainment/ Animation:

Very poor in nearly every respect.

She was outstanding and the best Ambassador for Costa that we encountered.

WHY WHY WHY had nobody done anything like this before.

Shuggie’s Full Rating Summary