3. Anthem of the Seas
This is really is stunning vessel...from the beautiful adults only indoor solarium to the 270 venue. embarkation was not the best...computer system was down so we herded old school into a waiting area and 1.5 hours later we boarded...not cool but would not let it ruin my vacation. I did alot of research h about the ship ahead of time so I knew to make all of my dinner and show reservations ahead of time. RCCLS online reservation system was glitchye and I had to make multiple calls to get it done....a lot of work but a word to the wise...be sure to do this or you will be eating very late or in the buffet and once you have the reservations have rccl send you an email to confirm and bring a copy with you on the ship. there were 2 dinner reservations I had that the on board computer system was missing. each time I told the hostess I had the confirmation email in my purse, the seated us immediately. I think the communication with rccl about the reservation thing is very poor. Many other passengers we unaware of this once on the ship and I saw a lot of disappointed people. I was not. We ate at each included venue twice and choose the steakhouse on our extra night at sea (due to the blizzard here the captain changed course and we got an extra free day with free internet, very decent). The steakhouse had a price up charge but was supberb. I am a foody...it was excellent. the complimentary restaurants were mostly very good...on two occasions food came only warm...sent it back and it was fine. what I don't get is how the ship could run out of decaf tea and half and half by day 8? The coffee was another issue...very inconsistent from venue to venue with the best in the Promonade Cafe. Entertainment was Broadway quality with the We will Rock You Show at the top, the Gift was good as well. Spectra 270 show was different with the aerobatics and electronics...love that venue with lots of comfy seating...at the back of the ship..floor to ceiling windows..we hung out there the last afternoon on board...listened to the smooth music playing, watching the ocean, enjoying the cafe there. The music Hall had lots of different bands and dancing, etc...lots of fun. The are 4 pools on board with 2 massive tvs at the outdoor pool. live entertainment there in the afternoons but as usual very crowded with lounge saving all day, etc (don't mind this if people are going to use them but not when they are saved and go empty for hours...the staff did not seem to bother much about that). we had a nice inside cabin on deck 13 with a virtual balcony..cool idea...bed too hard for me but that is a matter of personal taste. Day two we went through a very bad unexpected storm. I had never been seasick before and wished I had worn the seasick bands from the day before. after moving down to deck 4 mid ship..sipping some tea and waiting for drama mine to kick in..we were ok but it had been a night of little sleep for most on the ship..not fun but it's a chance you take out in the Atlantic in winter (and we will do it again). Also hit a day of rough weather on the way back but not as bad as day 2 and we had plenty of notice of it. we found the crew to be very pleasant and mostly wanting to please with good dining service and excellent cabin service. With the rough weather days they had to cancel and reschedule many shows but managed to get it all in so no one missed out. Puerto RI o was nice and pretty up at Fort El Morro..old San Juan is kind of quaint but well...old. Get a pinacolada at the restaurant we they claim it was invented...yummy. St Thomas was the opposite of what I expected. we first went into Charlotte Amalie to shop and then headed to Megan Bay beach. Charlotte Amalie was a Hugh dissappointment. I expected pretty streets lined with friendly shops but the streets and town we run down and the shop help so aggressive they would just about block you from passing by their shop on the sidewalk, wave flyers in your face, and some got downright nasty if you sias no or ignored them. I will never shop there again. next time we will do a snorkel or just beach day. Megan bay beach is billed as one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It was pretty but verycrowded. I have been on prettier beaches in Florida. I love, love, love St Maarten. great shopping with pretty streets and not aggressive shop keeppers. Visit Majesty Jewelers if you are looking for great deals on fine jewelry. This trip I picked up Marhalago larimar jewelry...the unique carribean gem. it is a family owned business and the people are lovely. get your shopping pass from the port shopping desk on the ship and get a discount (you will likely get one anyway if you just mentioned you are on the Anthem). St kitts rainforest tour was a long hike in a lush green rainforest with rough terrain. we did not see any birds or monkeys. the zip line excursion runs above the canopy so it seem the noise and distraction from that scares them away. The best part of the excursion was RomneyManor...they craft batik fabric and make it into items sold in a gift shop. Beautiful things. after the hike the very knowledgeable guide brought out homemade raisin and coconut bread and passion fruit puch and bottle of rum! Nice touch but don't think I would spend the 75 bucks pp again. I look forward to going on this ship again. It is a very different experience from traditional cruising but one I so enjoyed....hope others out there can do the same.

Spectacular Ship