3. Norwegian Breakaway
14 days - love that, Nice itinerary - 8 beautiful islands in a row, fun departure point - had not been to NY before so was a great precruise too. Ship: got lucky and were upgraded from guarantee oceanview (possibly obstructed) to a nice balcony for free. Bonus. Ship is large and clean and has a nice layout. I guess I am getting used to the unassigned dining but it was much easier because we had met some nice people on Cruise Critic roll call before the cruise and ended up striking up what I think will be a great long term friendship. Thank you Murorki. Enjoyed the food which was actually quite good and not just in the specialty restaurants. Sugar free deserts available from any restaurant on the ship if you ask. Certainly no lack of choice when it came to where we would have meals. We have cruise several times before so we no longer do the photo buys and I believe I had maybe 3 drinks in the 14 days so no real costs there. Was very disappointed about the price of pop package. over $300 is ridiculous. That being said we had read about being able to bring water or pop onboard as viewable checked luggage and we bought some flavoured water in NY before departure and again in Puerto Rico that got us through almost the whole cruise. The rooms were well cared for and having a hair dryer and shampoo was great. I used the treadmills every day (love to play the screen games as you hardly even know you are getting in a good long walk). Didn't realize the pool was salt water till after I got in it. Not my favorite, so only used it once. Hubby had a great time on the water slides though, and he even was up doing the rope walks and zip line onboard. We mini golfed and lay in the sun a couple of days. Good for our Canadian souls. The shops onboard were just ok but I did buy some costume jewelry towards the end of the cruise when things were on sale. I am an X smoker but even I was not happy with the casino being smoking (right in the middle of the ship so no way around it). Cirque was fantastic, Second City was great, Rock of Ages was excellent and Burn the Floor was quite good. Ports were mostly wonderful but this review is about the ship so I will leave those for another time. Something to do fun most nights but the Breakaway Theater seats are horrid. Really hard to enjoy a show when you have to slouch down the whole time so as not to get a hard bar right against your tail bone. While we were dining in Cagneys one night the manager of hotel and the manager of food came by and asked how we were enjoying things and if we had any complaints. Jokingly I mentioned that they had stopped having Peach Yogurt at the breakfast buffet, and our friends spoke of the theater seats. That night there was a plate of horderves in each of our cabins and the entire rest of the cruise there was peach yogurt available every morning. Ship disembarkation system was fine as we did not have to get out of our cabin until our chosen luggage tag time so no setting the alarm or rushing in the morning. The actual picking up of luggage and customs system could have been better but then again I believe that is the fault of the port and not the ship. We had travelled on the Pride of America a couple of years ago and it was the worst cruise ever due to terrible service, lack of organization, mediocre food and the dreaded Norwalk Virus.... so my expectations were pretty low but the Breakaway well exceeded my hopes and actually blew me a away in a couple of areas. A much better experience and, depending on itinerary and cost, I would now recommend NCL and in particular the Breakaway to others.

Pleasantly Surprised

sniffles998’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BX 9304
Small but adequate and comfortable. Great hot showers and equipped with hair dryer and shampoo as well as body wash. Lots of cupboard space but you might want to bring extra hangers with you. Plenty of storage in the bathroom and if you need the fridge to store meds, they will unlock it for you and move the pop and booze out.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Monkey Encounter
    This was actually a 4 x 4 tour to the green monkeys experience. AMAZING. The little guys were so close and so cute and the deer and turtles were really interesting too. Great guides and except that the truck bench seats were quite low and difficult to manage on long stretches, it was a great ride. Driver was excellent. Several stops and some wonderful scenery. Well worth the money even when booked on the ship. We took the 1:00 tour feeling quite confident that even if it was late getting back, the ship was not going to leave us behind and that gave us the opportunity to catch some sun deck time in the morning before the tour.
    View All 13 Monkey Encounter Reviews
  • Dominica
    Lots of rain (it is a rainforest afterall) but the 4 x 4 was open and we all got totally soaked. There could have been a better explanation by the guide about the swim in the gourge so in the end we didn't even go in as we thought we had to enter through a much more treacherous area than we actually did. Guide was a bit rude (Kirk Jeremy I believe was his name) but was in general informative and there were some great sights to see on the tour.
    View All 704 Dominica Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Dominica Cruise Port Review
  • Plantation & Tropical Gardens
    Balata gardens are lovely and it was a nice relaxing tour. The suspension bridge was a blast. Some great pictures and except for the rain which at least waited until just minutes before the end of the gardens tour it was very good. One down side is that the currency is Euro so the snack counter at the end of the gardens was a bit less than enthused to accept US $ and ended up charging $5 for what should have been a $3.50 sandwich if currency had been converted correctly. Unfortunately we had used up our Euros in St. Martiin not realizing that it was Martinique we needed them for.
    View All 19 Plantation & Tropical Gardens Reviews
  • New York (Manhattan)
    First time in New York. Time Square was awesome (at night), Empire state was interesting, Twin Tower Memorial was very powerful, Lady Liberty was stunning, Brooklyn Bridge was majestic. Holiday Inn Express Times Square was great (20th floor), compact but close to everything.
    View All 1,040 New York (Manhattan) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's New York (Manhattan) Cruise Port Review
  • San Juan
    Not long enough of a stop to really see much. Did a local bus tour but stop at the fort was a mile away from the actual fort and way to short. After dark though we were still able to pop over to CVS and pick up a few forgotten supplies.
    View All 3,845 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Kitts (Port Zante)
    Hubby did the Zip line tour and he loved it. Since the equipment is relatively new and state of the art, he felt confident it was safe and he really had a good time. 4 long drops and well strapped in with camera strapped to his harness so he could video his decent and still let go of the camera and grab the bar when he needed to. Not cheap by any means but once in a lifetime so why not. I on the other hand went shopping in the main port area. Nice not to have him pacing impatiently while I browsed. Highly recommend separate excursions once in awhile. hehehe
    View All 1,725 St. Kitts (Port Zante) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Kitts (Port Zante) Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    Local tour
    View All 4,778 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Maarten Cruise Port Review
  • St. Thomas
    Been here twice before so didn't need to do tours. We did go up the gondola to the top of the hill and have a wonderful Bushwacker drink. The area is under new ownership so the gardens were under renovation but we hear there is to be a zip line up there in the future. Love this port.
    View All 4,718 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews