3. Adventure of the Seas
I've been on several cruises in the past, over multiple cruise lines, and I was very surprised at how unhappy I was with Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas. First let me start off by saying that we always cruise with the same group organized by a travel agent. We don't get to choose our boat or cruise line. We buy into the cruise for the group. After cruising 4 years in a row we were ready to take a break until the travel agent announced that this year's cruise was with Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas which got us excited enough to buy tickets. We expected the trip to be a major improvement over Carnival, whom we actually loved cruising with, but just isn't known for luxury. Simply put: The change of ship and line sold us on another cruise with the group. I'll start out with the good. The ship itself did not disappoint. It was gorgeous. We loved the Promenade where we spent having late-night pizza and sandwiches after dancing at the fantastic Jester's dance club every night. It felt like a real European street, and was a great place to people watch. The theatre venues were incredible. The main theatre was broadway-sized and there is an ice-rink theatre too! The amenities on board were top-of-the-line. The hot tubs were large (though not hot enough) the lounge chairs were plentiful, and the Solarium area (Adults only quiet pool area) was divine and gorgeous. The pools were too cold for me, but I didn't have much time to swim anyway, unfortunately. That's about it though, when it comes to the good. The staff? They were rude, unhappy and often unhelpful. On no less than 4 occasions I witnessed 4 different staff members drop the "F" word, at least twice directed at customers behind their back. Bartenders were extremely slow and lacked interest in filling orders. On one occasion, I approached the bar for a drink. Another gentleman had been waiting before me and when the bartender asked what I'd like I indicated that the other gentleman was waiting first. That got me a dirty look and the other gentleman a drink, and the bartender proceeded to ignore me for almost 10 minutes and then when I finally got his attention again, he chastised me for not telling him what I wanted when he asked. Another bartender broke my pre-paid soda cup and then told me I'd have to pay $10 to replace it. Overall, nobody was happy to be working on this ship, except maybe Joseph, our room steward. He was always nice and seemed happy to see us. Another major issue I had was more with Royal Caribbean International's business practices than anything else. I do not blame the regular boat staff for this as they are following orders: High-pressure up-selling is quite rampant on the ship. Everywhere you turn someone is harassing you to spend money on jewelry, shoe inserts, spa products, more cruises, excursions and more. As a businessperson, I completely understand the need to up-sell. Royal Caribbean is doing it all wrong. On the way into our massage appointment, which we'd already spent $400 on, we were assailed by a fast-talking "physio" who spent 20 minutes analyzing our footprint and telling us we each needed to drop $200 on insoles for our shoes, even when I called him on the scam artist tactics of a physical evaluation performed differently before and after. After our (very good, by the way) relaxing spa treatments, our therapists cornered us in the treatment room before we could leave, telling us we NEED to buy $100 facial and muscle creams. No thank you. One of the more surprising flaws we found on Royal Caribbean was that the part of the Cruise Director (Mercedes) was replaced by a saleswoman. On every other cruise, our cruise director was a fun, outgoing, charismatic person who's job was to engage everyone on the cruise in fun activities, MC certain events, and communicate announcements over the PA system. Mercedes was none of that, and mostly, I don't blame her. While she could have been a little more charismatic, the problem was is her sole purpose seemed to be to get us to the sale events, book another cruise, book an excursion or to tell us about our very special "VIP" shopping cards that are good for each port. Not once did I see her in person, or hear of any fun activities on board the ship. Some other things I will touch on, simply to make my review complete: Food: While it wasn't bad, we were disappointed in the food. Carnival has much better food, and that's embarrassing. This is the only reason I bring it up. Carnival, who we actually liked cruising with, has a reputation of being a lower-class cruise line, and for them to one-up Royal Caribbean on cuisine is just wrong. The buffet was the same exact food everyday, with different sauce on everything. The dining room, while one of the most gorgeous we've ever seen, offered food that was just shy of impressive. It was tasty, and I give it credit for that, but we've always been wowed with Carnival's offerings in the dining room and I just think that's embarrassing. Rooms: The rooms were dated, but very comfortable. While it's clear that the ship had been renovated more recently in all of the public areas, the staterooms were quite old, but in great shape. The beds were acceptable, despite being able to feel the springs in the mattresses (I have never slept on a cruise ship bed, where this wasn't the case.) The spa and gym were spectacular.

Why I will (probably) never cruise with Royal Caribbean again.

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by KingDingbat

That's about it though, when it comes to the good.

Some other things I will touch on, simply to make my review complete:

The spa and gym were spectacular.
KingDingbat’s Full Rating Summary