Trollfjord Cruise Review

They lied!

Trollfjord Cruise Review by nofishplease

• Sail Date: Jan 2016
  • Destination: Norwegian Fjords

In my opinion and based on my cruise experience, you cannot rely on anything Hurtigruten (or its sales associates) tell you. I purchased the "Coffee Deal" when I booked my trip. The coffee deal is/was supposed to include an insulated coffee mug (along with no-charge coffee and tea for the duration of the trip). When I checked in, both of the people on the reception desk blithely informed me that the mugs are no longer included and I went away empty-handed. This may seem like a small thing, and perhaps it is, but I paid for the coffee deal as advertised and I did not get what I paid for. It smacks to me of a deceptive trade practice, and to add insult to injury I wasn't even given the option of cancelling the coffee deal (it was the mug I wanted, not Hurtigruten's coffee. . .I had brought my own Starbucks VIA coffee packs along with my own sweetener (Stevia) and even my own half&half (minimoos). It was a bad start to the cruise.

My "arctic superior" cabin was on deck 7 and located well aft (an advantage in that there is an elevator just steps away that will take you down to the main restaurant. The cabin was every bit as large as nice outside cabins on DFDS, Viking, or Silja. The cabin had two single beds (one was folded up into a sofa), a small desk, and a reasonably-sized bath with a shower. The cabin included a hot water pot (and a selection of coffee and teas). No TV.

I paid for the "lunch and dinner" package (breakfast was included In the cost of the cabin), and I regret having done so. I realize that the Hurtigruten ships ply Norwegian waters, so seafood is (and in my case was) the major menu emphasis. However, after the first night's dinner I gave up on dinner, and after viewing the noxious offerings at the lunch buffet the next day, I chose to pass on lunches and dinners and instead concentrated on breakfast each day. Keep in mind that there is only one entrée available for dinner each night, and if it doesn't appeal to you, tough, you are out of luck.

The emphasis of the trip (aside from getting from Point A to Point B, seems to be the sale of excursions. Throughout the trip there were frequent announcements on the PA regarding excursions. It was a little irritating.

The trip itself was fairly smooth and I have to admit that the scenery was spectacular.

I am not completely my poor experience on this trip, and in fact I would be willing to try Hurtigruten again (perhaps on one of its Antarctica trips). This short cruise taught me a number of things, albeit an expensive education. If there is a next time I will not be lured into purchasing the coffee deal or the lunch/dinner package.

nofishplease's Full Rating Summary