• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Feb 2009
Cabin:

Embarkation:

We flew into LAX early Sunday Morning. I had arranged a car service to get us to Long Beach. Several Carnival meet-and-greet staff stopped us when they saw are Carnival luggage tags and asked if they could help, although we did not need their services.

We arrived at the Long Beach Cruise Terminal around 9:30am, and a porter took our luggage as soon as it hit the sidewalk. We followed directions and signs to the Early Check-in office on board the Queen Mary. No lines to check in, but we did get a trainee who was obviously very green and nervous. After swiping our credit card and passports about a dozen times, a supervisor finally came over and helped him. Sign and Sail cards in hand, we were directed to 'Zone 2'. This was the only point at which there was a little confusion. We were actually so early that nobody else was in Zone 2, so we weren't sure if we were in the right area. A Carnival employee arrived very shortly thereafter and assured us that we would be boarding the ship some time around 11:30.

3 big closets, plenty of drawer space, pull out sofa and pullman bed in room, convenient to elevators and both ends of the ship.

Port Reviews

Puerto Vallarta

We have vacationed in PV before, so my partner and I elected to just hop off and take a cab to a beach we like (Blue Chairs at Los Muertos, for any of you GLBT cruisers out there). My parents shopped on their own, and then took the sunset dinner cruise excursion, which they said was fantastic.

Mazatlan

All four of us took the Stone Island tour/beach day. A quick ferry ride from the ship took us over to Stone Island, where we boarded transportation that took us the few blocks to the beach resort we spent the day at. Beautiful place, quiet, beautiful beach, open bar, and a decent lunch.

I rented a 4-wheeler ($25 for 1/2 hour), and drove up and down the beach, and my father and I both tried the powered hang-gliding flight that was being offered by an independent contractor on the beach. The pilot took people up one at a time, to an altitude of what we guess was about 500-600 feet. He flew us around the Gold Zone of Mazatlan, as well as over the cruise ship. ($50 for ~25min). It was TONS of fun, although I cannot vouch for the actual safety of what we did!

Cabo San Lucas

What a beautiful port! We didn't have a lot of time to explore, but what we did see looked gorgeous. We took the America's Cup Sailing excursion, which was fantastic. They split us into 2 groups of about 9, and loaded us on actual America's Cup sailing vessels. After some explanation of what we were doing and how the race would work (which I didn't even begin to understand), the first race was underway. Hoisting the main sail, even with 8 of us 'Grinding' (working the winches), was the only point at which I thought I'd have a heart attack. After that, it was all fun!

The ONLY downside to this tour is that it is run by Cabo Adventure Tours. Now, they did a fantastic, professional job, BUT, they have a great scam going. You are not allowed to so much as take your personal camera on board the vessel, but, out of the kindness of their little hearts, they staff each vessel with a photographer, who takes tons of photographs. When you return to land, you get to peruse the Photo Center, where you can buy prints for $12US (!!!!!) each (that's a 4x6, folks), or get a CD with 8 pictures on it for $80US (!?!?!?!). We all felt this was truly highway robbery, and did not purchase any of the pictures.

previous reviewnext review