3. Celebrity Equinox
We booked a wonderful Alaska cruise with Celebrity two years ago. So, given the quality of the food and entertainment we experienced there, we booked an 11 day Central America cruise on the beautiful Equinox. We were disappointed. The Silhouette dining room doesn't serve the same quality of food their reputation says they do. The food in the main dining room, although varied, is bland and unappetizing to say the least. Knowing that their cruising clients prefer the occasional lobster tail or filet mignon steak, the company has moved these items to the speciality restaurants and forces you to pay $35 - $40 to get them at the Murano or Tuscan. The food there is exceptional but I personally resent being taken advantage of and paying for the "good" food that was always enjoyed in the past in the main dining room. Of course, it was our choice to eat the better food. Last year, I ate lobster and filet mignon in the main dining room with Princess cruises. The average age of the clientele on this cruise must have been near 75 and a good number of them were disabled or had mobility issues. I'm glad to see people of this age enjoy life as they do (we will all be there soon) but it does have an effect on the overall feeling of the cruise. In this case, it almost appears that the company scrimped on the quality of the musical entertainment knowing only 10-15% of the passengers would be late night dancers. The house band was not up to the same standard as my previous Celebrity cruise and left me disappointed. On a positive note, the crew was extremely well trained and courteous, the service was beyond reproach, the ship was immaculate and our stateroom was splendid.

Could've been better

Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Etoc

Etoc’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Equinox price drops

Deluxe Veranda
Cabin 1B 7314
Excellent from every respect.
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Horse Carriage Tour
    The best stop on our cruise. We taxied into the old town and did the walking tour ourselves during the afternoon. We were accosted many times by pedlars looking to sell junk. Some were persistent but we are from a big city and are accustomed to this type of behaviour.
    The nighttime carriage ride was nice. We were surprised twice though, once when a mime jumped into our carriage and then again when a guitar player followed close behind. Both held out their hands for a "propina" (tip) after their performance. We shooed them away.
    View All 36 Horse Carriage Tour Reviews
  • Embera Indian Tour
    The visit to the indigenous village was nice: they gave us a quick information session, danced for us and sold us their wares.
    View All 27 Embera Indian Tour Reviews
  • Gatun Locks
    Wonderful visit to the locks. We were lucky enough to have three ships go through during our visit.
    View All 37 Gatun Locks Reviews
  • Cozumel
    We didn't get off the ship. Been to Mexico many times in the past
    View All 6,685 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Stingray Swim
    We booked this excursion but it was canceled because of high offshore winds. We walked into town instead. Be prepared to pay $35 for a small personal pizza and beer. Prices are crazy here.
    View All 724 Stingray Swim Reviews
  • Best of Puerto Limon
    I believe that an excursion with the title of "best of" shouldn't show the "worst of". We saw only the run down sections of Puerto Limon. The plantation was interesting and was appreciated. The boat ride was supposed to be an Eco-tour but was a bust. The train ride through the rain forest was not at all interesting. I guess we have seen to many Caribbean third world countries to appreciate this Central American one.
    View All 8 Best of Puerto Limon Reviews