3. Disney Wonder
We recently returned from a seven night Southern Caribbean cruise on the Disney Wonder. After our first experience on the Dream one year earlier, we were expecting to be "wowed" in typical Disney fashion. This was not the case...at all. We now understand that there are striking differences between the new Dream and the older Wonder. But our entire cruise on the Wonder was a different, and less enjoyable, experience. First, boarding the ship was unremarkable. Long lines and nothing really exciting and dramatic like the Dream. We walked on with little fanfare and searched out a lunch spot. When we got to Parrot Cay, all of the waitstaff were wandering around aimlessly. When we were finally seated, no one ever came by to grab drinks for us. It was this moment, ten minutes in, that we knew it was going to be a different cruise. A waiter we flagged down began arguing with us about the drink of the day, making us feel uncomfortable. We ate quickly and left to search for our room. Our first impression of our room--shabby and unclean. The bathroom was covered in hairs. They were even on the walls! Ew. The bedding was shabby and that red "dream" pillow was in desperate need of replacement. The walls were so thin, we could hear every single word our neighbors spoke. Awkward to say the least. Our stateroom attendant was nice, but never introduced himself and was ALWAYS in the hallway. It was very strange. He was there morning, noon, and night. But never chatted with us or made any attempt to be friendly. Again, not what we were expecting from Disney. The biggest disappointment on the cruise was, undoubtedly, the food. All I can say is GROSS. Everything was served cold. The buffets were underwhelming. The food was not appealing in any way. This was especially true in the fast service stops on the top decks. Dry, crumbly burgers and cold fries. Yuck. We just kind of gave up halfway through and ate sparingly. I actually lost weight during the week because the food was just so unappetizing! So there's that. Our daughter loved the kids club and we enjoyed the smaller size on the Wonder. It was a bit less overwhelming for her this time around (4 years old). The staff was underwhelming and seemed unhappy whenever we stopped in to drop off or pick up. The Wonder is in desperate need of a makeover. It creaks...a lot. The ceilings feel very low and there is a constant stream of maintenance men running around fixing things. Honestly, if the staff had been friendly, the food had been edible, the ship clean, we'd have been fine with the state of this older ship. But as the week dragged on, we began to realize we were just numbers they were shuttling through. Although they desperately tried to drum up positive feedback for their precious survey as the week ended, it was really obvious that there's something wrong here. Here are some examples of what we experienced: * Staff was unhelpful and unfriendly. Any time we asked a question, we felt rebuffed. There were no attempts made to go above and beyond to offer us assistance with anything. Disney has a reputation for amazing customer service...I would say about 90% of the staff we encountered seemed disenchanted and "off," even angry. *Staff monitoring the character lines were horrific. We began to dread encountering the crew they had monitoring those events. *Staff at the spa were aggressive and made me feel uncomfortable. I had three treatments and felt extremely pressured to purchase hundreds of dollars in products afterwards. I found myself locked in a room after my massage with my therapist demanding to know which products I was going to buy. I stammered a response and she continued on again and again about how important it was to my health to purchase their products. Yes, there were things we enjoyed on the ship. Palo was lovely, and we enjoyed the adult spaces on the ship. Was it enough to make us return? Nope. Our entire family came down with viruses on the ship or immediately after disembarkation. We spent an insane amount of money to be treated poorly, eat bad food, and get sick. After our first Disney cruise, we thought we'd be cruising for the indefinite future. After this one, we know we won't be back.

We won't make this mistake again; disappointing and not very Disney.

Disney Wonder Cruise Review by goosalicious

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

Here are some examples of what we experienced:

goosalicious’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Disney Wonder price drops

Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah
Cabin 04A
The cabin was a great location. It was easy to get around and we were close to everything. The room was not in great condition, felt very used. The walls were exceptionally thin. We could hear every word that was spoken next door as if they were in the room with us. The room was not very clean upon arrival
Deck 8 Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins