3. Ruby Princess
This was our 17th cruise and our third on a Princess. We have previously sailed on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, among others. I was fortunate enough to have cruised during the infancy of cruise travel back in the 1990's, a time when you where truly pampered and you were made to feel special. Today's large ships, such as the Ruby Princess, are more elaborate than their precursors, both in size, variety of activities, entertainment and gagets but, to me, they lack that special personal connection that makes cruising a unique experience. This being said, our head waiter, assistant-waiter, room attendant, the crew working the buffet and those working the front desk were all courteous, efficient and a pleasure to have known. I also found the entertainers as well as the production shows to be enjoyably good, with the exception of the Magic To Do show, which was so boring it put me to sleep. I avoided the Voice contest but then again I never liked these type of shows on TV much less on the sea. The food at the buffet , both at breakfast and lunch was redundant and unimaginative. This being a mexican cruise, there were no mexican dishes, not even salsa or guacamole. The only exeption were a few asian dishes on the last day of the cruise. The food at the main restaurant was good at best and by no means a gourmet experience. As Captain Circle members, we were invited to a captain's reception. This was held in the main theater and as those of us invited, bring lowly gold and ruby members, the captain declined to show himself. He must have been very busy on that ocean day with calm seas! This "gathering" consisted of telling us how good we are and giving us a voucher for a free drink, very classy! Princess could learn from Royal Caribbean; as members of the Crown and Anchor Society of Royal Caribbean, we are treated to a cocktail reception with the captain and his senior officers, and not hearded into a theater with the ship's hotel manager. Speaking of the captain, I never saw him in person either at an official function or mingling with the passengers. The spa experience was not what it should be, the purpose being a relaxing serene moment and not a hard sell of various lotions. My wife went to have her hair blow-dried. She was quoted one price, which she found expensive, but charged at the end an additional $12 because her hair was long (they only fell to her shoulders!). The Princess Links are in such a poor state of repair that they are unusable. The carpets are all wrinkled and old. The area looks more like an abandon lot in a poor area of town. We had an issue with a very temperamental toilet in our mini-suite. The flush button on the wall would at more times than I would like, fail to function. It happened the first time we used it so I can only presume this was an ongoing issue for our particular stateroom. They sincerely did try their best to fix it and accommodate us. I have now come to the conclusion that if I ever go on a futur cruise it will be because of the destination and not the onboard experience.

Average at Best