3. Adventure of the Seas
Returned last weekend from a southern Caribbean sailing aboard the Adventure of the Seas. The experience earns mixed reviews from me. As for many of the public areas (Champagne bar, Schooner bar, Viking Crown Lounge), there is a definite lack of attention to the condition of the furnishings.....beat up and very worn chairs, many wobbly tables, stained carpets, etc... A good number of the public elevators have issues where floor call buttons do not work and one can find themselves standing for a good long time pushing the call button and not getting an elevator called to your floor. Some of the elevators which have stainless steel panel interiors are heavily marked up with graffiti and scrawling made from some sharp objects which are really noticeable and not something I would expect to see in this setting. The tables which were set up numerous times along the promenade section where the onboard shops are located, created frequent bottlenecks between the people who were shopping for whatever merchandise was being peddled and others trying to get to their dinner settings or shows or wherever. The promenade is the main thoroughfare between the forward and aft areas of the ship and needs to be less restricted at all times. In my particular section of deck 6 where my cabin was, there were 3 consecutive days were I had issues with my cabin toilet not flushing. I overheard other passengers in the hallways commenting about not having water pressure for either their sink or showers. There needs to be a uniform procedure for bar staff when it comes to dealing with persons who purchased drink packages. There were some bars and bartenders where I never showed my seapass card when ordering a Coke refill and at other places, I wouldn't be taken care of until I showed them my card. When ordering alcoholic drinks, there were some bartenders who made no issue of me not signing or simply grabbing my tab slip, while others requested that I sign and/or leave one copy behind. I did not add any gratuities on to most of my drinks as there is already an 18% charge added on. If a bartender mixed up a frozen drink or brought it to where I was sitting, I added $1 onto the bill for them. My stateroom was comfortable and clean and I enjoyed having a balcony to sit out and relax on after a day of shore excursions. Aside from the plumbing issues, everything else was operational and the attendant was a wonderful guy who was an encyclopedia of great information of things to do and avoid onboard as well as for going ashore in each port. Windjammer grill served its function appropriately with decent varieties of food. Very attentive service by the wandering waitstaff. Biggest issues involved some passengers and their utter lack of manners for queueing up or taking far more food than they wound up actually eating. Great variety of shore excursions to pick from and had no problems with booking some last minute ones. Dining room head and assistant waiters for my table were both very professional, pleasant and added to the atmosphere of the week of dining. The photographers that worked the dining room and as you disembarked the ship got to be very annoying after the 2nd day. All of them would do well to back off and be less pushy and 'in your face'. A good number of the public area restrooms were in need of refurbishment and maintenance of either toilets that were out of service, motion sensor sinks that were not functioning, paper towel dispensers that were not functioning, stall partition doors that had missing door hooks or would not stay closed because of broken latches. I assisted a few persons in wheelchairs and walkers who were unable to enter some of the restrooms because the automatic push pad door openers were not functioning and they were not able to push or pull open the heavy doors under their own power. I did mention this issue to guest services after each of the few incidents that occurred. I can't say if they were addressed before the end of the cruise. Disembarking and re-embarking the ship in each port was smooth and trouble free. Towel return station was set up after boarding and near the deck 1 elevators. The recently installed outdoor movie screen was a nice addition which was not in place a few years ago on an earlier sailing I took aboard this same ship. The Arctic Zone frozen yogurt station had only one machine operating the entire trip as the second one had an out of order sign attached to it. I visited it only once as there were often long lines of people waiting for a frozen yogurt cone and I found the Ben & Jerry's stand to be a much better choice instead. I didn't care for the cruise director. They would do well to find someone with a more pleasant personality.

A decent cruise aboard a ship that needs refurbishing and better maintenance.

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by AndreaDoria

AndreaDoria’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Cabin furnishings were dated looking but were functional and served my purpose well. The shower head was excellent and the water pressure more than adequate.....can't really say the same about the sink water pressure. The selection of TV programming is lousy and aside from catching a few minutes here and there of CNN International and the channel which indicated our position and listed daily events and times, there was no reason to turn on the TV.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans