Norwegian Jade Cruise Review

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by parakleo

• Sail Date: Jan 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

To start with the good- the show "cripton" was excellent. He is an illusionist and performed some great illusions. His show as well as the acrobatic team were entertaining. Disemarkation-we had an excellent fellow who helped my mom in a wheelchair for getting off the ship. She had difficulty getting to the actual meeting place for that service but was helped once she got there.

The not so good-

I was reassured by NCL that my gluten-free dietary needs would be accompdated and that my disable mom would have no trouble getting around this ship. We were greatly disappointed.

1. You are required to order all 3 meals at dinner the day before for glulten-free.

2. The food is mediocre and at one point I was served something that was NOT gluten-free but was told it was. I subsequently got sick.

3. Service in the dining room where I was required to eat took almost 2 hours for every meal. We were told it was because of my special diet. However we ate at the alternate dining room which was smaller and they served our meals within an hour.

4. There were NO handicapped restrooms open or available for my mom who was traveling with me. She rented a scooter which required the use of an elevator. There were no designated elevator for handicapped use which proved to be challenging getting an elevator that wasn't filled with people.

5. Shore excursion team had no idea what was available at some of the advertised excursions. We took the botanical garden/beach tour and found that they have assistance for those who couldn't handle prolonged walking. This would have been helpful information before we took the excursion. They also had no idea if I could eat the lunch BBQ was being offered and would not permit me to take a gluten free sandwhich off the ship.

I do believe that Celebrity has NCL beat in cabin size,comfort, dining, service, and overal cruise experience.

parakleo's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Balcony

The room was smaller than what we have had on other crusie ships. Our balcony was large enough for 2 chairs and a small table between.

Our steward did an excellent job keeping our room clean and we always found fresh ice after being gone for the day.

Mayan Ruins

Our excursion guide was extremely difficult to understand with his thick,fast, mexican accent. some of his information was not accurate as he did a brief walking tour at Tulum. We found some of the other tour guides from other companies had better information and VERY easy to understand. This tour we went on only afforded about 60 minutes at Tulum so no time for the beach there. WE arrived after lunch but had only had breakfast on the boat. No food was offered until after our tour but had to be quick. The actual site was interested and on a beautiful beach!

View All 425 Mayan Ruins Reviews

For $55 this was an expensive excursion. The tour was an hour long and we rode in a cart type transportation and no stops were made along the way. The guide gave good information. We were told this port is a recently new stop for cruise ships. The area is very poor and only the lawyers,doctors, and politicians have decent homes. Due to my mom being mobility challenged she opted for this to see some of the city.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Beach

The remainder of our day was spent at Tabyana Beach. This was a gated off-private use only beach. There were a couple of gift shops, a nice BBQ lunch , and lounge chairs provided for this beautiful beach. There were security regularly walking the beach and this site. I had the opportunity to have a massage on the beach which was extremely relaxing and a MUST NOT TO BE MISSED. The water was rough the day we went but we still did snorkeling and swimming. Definately worth the money spent for the day.

Roatan

We were the first ones off the boat to heat to the Gumbalina Park. Here we walked through green vegetation to see tiny humming birds, iguanas,toucans,Macaws, and Roatan parrots. It was a lovely walk. We spent a couple of hours here.

parakleo