3. Grand Princess
My husband and I decided to celebrate our 3rd anniversary by going on a cruise out of San Francisco, since we are from Northern California and didn't have to fly. My sister from New Zealand liked the idea , and decided to join us. We drove to San Francisco a couple days early and stayed at the Wharf Motel. We had a great time at Pier 39 and saw Beach Blanket Babylon Friday night. Saturday after check out, we drove to Pier 27 to board the Grand Princess. My husband dropped us off at the end of the terminal, so the porters could check in our bags. Then he drove to 55 Francisco St. to check in our car for parking till we got back. We had made prior reservations for around $200 for the 10 days. After he checked in the car he walked around three to four blocks back to join me. We checked in with passports and Sail Pass around 12:30pm. Got a number and boarded the ship about 30 minutes later. So no problems with Embarkation. We had room C753 balcony - Caribe deck 10 - Aft. Loved it!! I had ordered flowers, bottled water, guacamole dip and chiips, and a bottle of rum. Everything was in the room, except for the water and rum which I had to call room service to get. No problem. You can order bottled water packages now from room service. Really great, but you get 12 bottles in a case and they aren't packaged, so I had ordered two cases and got 24 bottles to stash around the room. At 4:00 we departed and sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge as we ate guacamole and salsa from our Aft Balcony. Loved it!! The first couple sea days were cold and bouncy. I ordered room service on the second day for breakfast. The Grand really needs to improve on their coffee. Yuck! I took a few Dramamine the second sea day and spent most of the day sleeping. The third sea day was formal night. We had the traditional dining at 5:30 and shared a table with two other couples from Northern California, whom we all got along real well with. Most of the food in the Borticelli Dining Room was good. I haven't been on a cruise yet that the food was anything to write home about. On the fourth night we ate in the Crown Grill ($25). It was really good, but way too much for me to eat. My husband didn't have any problems eating everything though. We ate at the Horizon for most breakfasts and lunches. It wasn't anything to write home about, but you could always find something to keep you from starving. The coffee there wasn't all that great. I had a few specialty coffees, but they weren't any good too. So glad I didn't buy their specialty coffee card. My husband purchased to all you could drink booze card, which probably saved us some money seeing how he likes to drink. You had to drink at least 5-6 drinks a day for it to pay off, and he did. On the 5th day we docked in Puerto Vallarta and we went on an excursion to Yelpa and Mahajuitas Beach on a large catamaran. We enjoyed it. The crew kept us entertained and supplied us with unlimited drinks. On the 6th day we docked in Manzanillo and took a very comfortable bus to Colima and the pyramids of La Campana. Chito and Jesse real great. The inland was nice. On the 7th day we docked in Mazatlan and took a bus to the Golden Zone. It was a great area to go shopping. On the 8th day we took the tender into Cabo San Lucas to find shrimp ceviche. None of the restaurants around the area served ceviche, but they directed to Alexanders around the dock. About an hour later we found Alexander and had a wonderful lunch of guacamole, shrimp cocktail and shrimp ceviche. Loved it!!! We took a two minute water taxi back for $7. Wish I had known about that before we started. On the 9th day it was formal night. But on this formal night it was lobster night. Loved it!! After dinner we changed clothes and went to watch a show. We tried to see a show earlier in the cruise, but got there to late and couldn't get a seat. This time we went about an hour early and got a seat. The show was good - British Invasion. Loved the music and costumes. Our steward Valentino Manzano was wonderful. He kept our room super neat. Love him!! Disembarkation went smoothly only it was raining and everybody wanted a taxi, so my husband walked to the parking lot while I waited with all the bags. I only had to wait for 20-30 minutes. So wasn't too bad, but wished we could have taken a taxi.

Loved It!!

emcbeebee@comcast.net’s Full Rating Summary
Get Grand Princess price drops

Premium Balcony
Cabin B4 C753
We were on Caribe deck 10 with aft balcony. I would ask for this room again. The bed was a little hard, but par for cruises. There was enough room to fit all our clothes. Ample hangers! The shower worked, the toilet worked - can't complain. The steward Valentino Manzano kept the room super clean. The balcony was perfect. The view was marvelous! I lived on the balcony. Saw whales, turtles, and dolphins. The shore line was breath taking. Just the best cabin ever. Loved it!!
Caribe Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins