3. Oasis of the Seas
This was the first cruise my wife and I have taken and we went on this cruise as part of a company trip. As a result, I have the first time cruiser perspective but can't compare this to other cruises. A few, perhaps useful observations: 1. The ship is huge but it doesn't feel crowded. Both points were a surprise to me. What was so nice was that the interior is both broken up and varied. I think this is what RC calls Neighborhoods. With few, very cool, exceptions, your line of site just isn't that long. As a result, you are always around people but you don't feel surrounded by them. At the end I learned we had something like 6,400 passengers and 2,200 crew on-board. It didn't feel that way when we were on it. 2. The food is, well, the food. They announced at one point that they serve 100,000 meals a day. I think they are treating sodas as a meal, but whatever. The fact is there are a huge number of people consuming a huge amount of food and for that it wasn't that bad. Beyond the Silk dining room, we went off and ate the premium restaurants Giovani's (sp?) and the Sushi place. Giovani's seemed like the same food for all intents and purposes as Silk, but a nicer atmosphere and better service. The Sushi place (sorry, forgot the name) was actually surprisingly good, and I go to a nice sushi place at home 1-2 times a month. I also tried the premium surf and turf meal at Silk one night and that was surprisingly good as well. The wine list could use a lot of work, but I like wine so maybe I'm being picky. That said, I'm not being picky when I say the prices for decent wine (and decent champagne) were well above shore-based restaurants for the same quality. It felt a bit of a rip-off. To add insult to injury, I bought a bottle of nice wine ($80?) and instead of giving us the 20% discount since we had the beverage plan, they just added the 18% gratuity. On my bill this $30 of wine was billed at $101 and some change. They fixed it but that took time. 3. The shore trips are too short. The Islands are nice but you get 6-8 hours there and feel more rushed than relaxed, if you want to actually do much. On the last island we basically decided to just camp on the beach, which was nice, but I don't feel like going on a big ship cruise is really a good way to see islands, given you often have to travel on the island to what you want to see and most of the stores are all set up to sell you diamonds. We did do the Dolphin Swim on Nassau and that was awesome. I definitely recommend that as we had people of all ages and types and the universal feeling was it was a great experience. 4. Check yourself out at the end. We had a late flight so our scheduled departure from the boat was 10:45. Instead, we just took our own bags, left at 7:30 or so and were off the ship, through customs and at the airport by about 8:20. Way easier than checking in and much easier than I expected. 5. Don't waste your arrival back day. Since our flight out of Ft. Lauderdale wasn't until 6pm or so, and since TSA won't allow people to check their bags more than four hours before their flight (which was our plan), we just paid $7 a big and stored them in the bags-to-go (?) room by the baggage claim. They held the bags and we took the free sun trolley to Ft. Lauderdale. We went to Las Olas blvd. and had a great time walking around there, seeing the shops (much more varied and interesting than the tourist shops on the islands), walked on the waterfront, and had an amazing lunch at LBC (Le Bon Crepe (?). Definitely a great way to end the trip.

First Cruise Ever

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by DiscoverNV

A few, perhaps useful observations:

DiscoverNV’s Full Rating Summary