3. Rotterdam
We always thought that Holland America was a little up market to the usual cruise lines in it's class --- well they do supply robes in the cabin ! We booked a guaranteed outside which we have done many times in the past with success and always got a very good cabin. This time we got the short straw, a crap cabin in steerage for a crap price, hard cheese, we cannot complain, we had two very rusty portholes. So why am I writing here ? Well, it's the 'thing' at the back of the Lido deck. This is usually the location of an outside pool with sun loungers around the deck and this is the place where I like to take my swim. But not now. What have they done ? In its place they have installed a half metre high by 15 Metre square enclosure in which approx. 200mm of water slouches around 25 strange looking loungers. The area is crisscrossed with walkways with the loungers facing a raised screen at the rear of the ship (this is the best description I can give). Someone at carnival in the U.S.A. have " got their knickers in a twist". Holland America caters mainly for mature Europeans, mostly Dutch, not North Americans on their short holiday rave trips. To continue -- the staff were run off their feet. Dinner always took between one and a half to two hours, didn't matter we were not in a hurry and dinner was quite good. At show times we hardly saw the cruise director, only heard his recorded voice, we thought he had fallen overboard -- but he was probably in the basement helping with the washing up! Christmas was a bit naff -- crap show with nothing much happening --- seen enough Christmases so we went to bed early. Someone was collecting signatures for a complaint about lack of Christmas crackers or something similar. New Year's Eve was a joke. Little service, couldn't get a drink except unless you joined the scrum at the bar. The entertainment in the showroom consisted of a hideous (in my opinion) rock band and a ghastly singer (some people liked her) more suitable to a booze nightclub than a Christmas cruise for the geriatric/wheelchair brigade. The people dancing were mainly the ships male officers trying to make merry. As before, seen too many New Year Eve's so went to bed early. If you bought shares in carnival for the benefits the shares are doing great so now may be the time to sell, if you get my drift.

HAL lost its way.

Rotterdam Cruise Review by bowling

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

So why am I writing here ?

Well, it's the 'thing' at the back of the Lido deck.

But not now.

What have they done ?

Someone at carnival in the U.S.A. have " got their knickers in a twist".

To continue -- the staff were run off their feet.

New Year's Eve was a joke.

The people dancing were mainly the ships male officers trying to make merry.

As before, seen too many New Year Eve's so went to bed early.

bowling’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Rotterdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin C 1810
Small and old with rusty portholes
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins