3. Splendour of the Seas
This is my third cruise on Royal and I have not been wowed until now. Every time I have travelled with Norweigian it has been an experience to remember and I have done their larger and smaller ships. The entertainment on board was mediocre. The shows consisted of a really bad magician and a pretty good juggler. I found that the bands lacked performance. The activities on the ship did not always happen and the staff sometimes did not even show up to coordinated the planned activities. The dinner service in the main dining room was extremely slow. The food was ok. The food choices in the windjammer were poor but the service there was always friendly and fast. I didn't find that there was very much to do on this ship, the ship is dated, the staff is tired and I found that the overall offerings and service on the ship were poor compared to what I am used to. The Dj onboard was horrible and seemed to be playing the same songs over and over and over. Be sure to look into whether or not you need a multiple entry visa with the type of passport that you have. This visa is quite expensive. The line ups for embarkation were long and I would have liked to have been informed before hand that they needed to keep my passport. Traveling 101 : Never give up your passport so I was quite nervous when I had to do that. They keep your passport for customs purposes until 2 days before disembarkation. Disembarkation was easy. They don't want you to walk off with your luggage on this ship but I did as I always do on other ships. Most ships encourage it but this one didn't. Don't go on this trip for the ship, go for the destinations which is what I did :) I enjoyed the ports of call, the culture and my excursions. The excursions were well organized and the tour operators were awesome. I would definitely recommend these destinations but keep in mind that if you are used to great service, amenities, activities & better offerings then you may be disappointed with this ship. If it will be your first cruise you'll be fine.

Destinations great! Ship experience not so great!

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by pollyyyz

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: Middle East
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean View Stateroom

The excursions were well organized and the tour operators were awesome.

pollyyyz’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas price drops

Large Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin I 2068
Do not take this cabin. The gangway will be set up right next to it for most stops and you will have no peace and not be able to sleep on those nights when the ship stays over night. This room was spacious, with a little sitting area, lots of storage/closet space with a lovely Oceanview but I did not sleep well for 8 days. It is really bad. They shouldn't even have a room there.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Abu Dhabi
    I took the Big Bus Tour which is an amazing way to see the city at your pace.
    View All 130 Abu Dhabi Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Abu Dhabi Cruise Port Review
  • Desert Safari
    This excursion is a "MUST DO". The drivers, the ambiance, the desert, the food, the experience was amazing. If you are prone to motion sickness DO NOT GO ON THIS TOUR. I now know that I am prone to motion sickness and I got really sick during the dune bashing. The driver and passengers were very helpful and the driver took a different route to get me to camp. I really appreciated their compassion and understanding.
    View All 19 Desert Safari Reviews
  • City Tour
    The first day I did a city tour of Muscat by night. This was lovely and includes a restaurant experience. The restaurant was amazing! I definitely recommend this tour.

On the second day : I took the hop on hop off tour which was the best way to see Muscat. You have stops at all the major attractions, the palace, the souk, the Mosque. I would recommend.
    View All 27 City Tour Reviews