3. Queen Elizabeth
...some aspects of the cruise which let Cunard down. There were two of us. We booked two balcony cabins next door one another for single occupancy. Cunard certainly knows how to charge for these! The embarkation process was rapid and totally efficient. They mislaid one of my suitcases but hey, they found it again some time later. The balcony BB cabin on deck 7 (a deck to be recommended) was very nice but not spectacular spoilt by the tiny shower room. Wake up Cunard. People who cruise expect more. There is a huge gap between the suites and the balcony cabins. I've stayed in a Queen suite previously and it was indeed luxurious. Service was excellent. I don't think Cunard takes time any longer to match dinner companions adequately. We asked to sit on a table for eight to meet people. Our fellow diners were OK and we generally had a laugh but we had very little in common. On previous cruises more effort seems to have been made. The worst aspect of the cruise was the so-called evening entertainment. It was patronising in the extreme; childish and amateur. Third rate, in fact. The lectures though were better. None of the other activities appealed. Food was very good indeed. No complaints there though wine was over-priced. However, Cunard gave me some champagne for my birthday which we enjoyed and shared with our fellow diners. As for port and shore excursions, the best advice is to do it yourself. Cunard's tours are extremely overpriced offering little extra value. The excursion in Las Palmas was pathetic. Overall we enjoyed the cruise a great deal but Cunard please stop selling all the time. The cheap jewellery deals on board were junk as were the handbags and yards of gold. If I want a photograph taken, I'll arrange it. On a positive note it was very good not to be bombarded with messages from the captain; just one delivery at noon. One word of warning: if you expect to find the ship full of middle and upper class retired and working professionals you'll be very disappointed. It is full of well seasoned cruisers quick to tell you about the amazing deals they achieved and to discuss the numerous other voyages they have made. Finally just to stress the Queen Elizabeth is a fine vessel with beautiful decor and it looked magnificent with its tasteful Christmas decorations. It couldn't last, of course. Along came Cunard with some of the naffest Advent decorations I've ever seen. Did all this put me off. Yes, but I'd go again and again just to sit in the Lido restaurant late afternoon and enjoy the view over a cup of tea or to gaze at the open sea from my balcony.

Lovely ship, pity about...

Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by bandakirkham

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

bandakirkham’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Elizabeth price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB 7113
Nice room. Very very poor bathroom. Good to be able to open the door between our two cabins to share a double size balcony. Deck 7 is to be recommended. Very quiet. No noise from restaurants above.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins