3. La Marguerite
I had read very good reviews about this boat but found I was a little disappointed. It could possibly be that we went at the wrong time of year as the Mekong was very low and getting on and off the boat was an ordeal at times. The crew had to dig out steps in the muddy banks or put cardboard on the damp mud (an accident waiting to happen, gladly I didn't hear of anyone having one). During one excursion we had to disembark from the boat into a sampan and then up a very steep path to shore where unfortunately I pulled a muscle in my calf and was unable to walk. I remained on the sampan until the excursion finished and we returned to the boat. When I mentioned this to the hotel manager she promptly got me an elastic bandage and arranged for me to have a massage at the ships expense, which greatly helped but I was unable to join any excursions the following day. In the brochure free drinks and cocktails were advertised but unfortunately the cocktails were only available on special occasions (Captains Dinner, New Years Eve and final Good bye dinner). The cabins offer a balcony but none of the cabins had one, there was a door which opened onto a shelf which housed the air conditioning unit - there was no room to even get outside. The cabins were extremely dark and the lights had to be on all the time in order for you see around ok. The restaurant catered for all tastes and the staff were always extremely pleasant. The most disappointing for us was that there was no entertainment/quiz/lecture etc after dinner so most people just went to bed out of boredom.

A little disappointed