3. Star Legend
This was our 3rd Windstar cruise, the other two on the Wind Surf. I was hooked on Windstar after the 1st cruise. Love the casual, familiar atmosphere of these ships and especially the low passenger count. On this trip, we had 175 passengers(not quite full) and 150 crew. We read some of the bad reviews on the Dec 27th trip and were concerned a little before we left about what to expect. What we got was exactly as expected - plus a little more. Here are specific points to address those negative reviews I read: 1. Some complained about the beds. My understanding is all the mattresses were new in May when they completely remodeled the interior of the ship. I slept like a baby every night and even pulled the sheets back to look at the mattress. Did not look old to me. I am okay with foam pillows. The sheets I had were were not pilled and very silky. 2. Someone complained about not going to the Bitter End in Virgin Gorda. I spoke with them about this and was told the Bitter End was not allowing Windstar to tender there during their peak season. The Bitter End wanted to cater to their regular crowd. Not the ships fault and tenders could resume in February sometime. 3. Someone complained about having to take the Windstar excursion to visit the Baths. Again, I was told that Virgin Gorda was not actually a stop on this trip, rather Prickly Pear was the official stop. Therefore, they did not have privileges to tender to Virgin Gorda other than for a local controlled tour. 4. Food was great overall. Some things better than others, of course, but as good as expected. 5. Don't come on a Windstar cruise if you are not prepared for stairs on the ship. The ship is small and stairs are the easiest way to get around. 6. Someone complained about not embarking in Phillipsburg as said it was because Windstar didn't want to pay to dock in the big ports. I am not sure, but the specific reason we like Windstar is that you tender in to lesser know places and uncrowded ports. You know the stops before you book, so that should not be a surprise and none of these islands are so big that a 30 minute cab ride cannot get you around and the port stops are usually all day long, so there should be time. 7. Tender problems - that did happen on the very last day at Prickly Pear. One tender did go out of service. I realize that is a serious problem and I Windstar knows that as well and is doing whatever they must to get it remedied. The all-suite rooms are spacious, with walk-in closets. Ours had a bathtub, which is typical. They do have some rooms where the bathtub has been replaced with a big shower and if you need that, make sure you ask about that when you pick your room. I don't think there are very many. The service was exceptional throughout the ship. Repeat customers were given a cocktail party and greeted warmly upon arrival, but special treatment. Used the spa for massage and facial and very happy with that. Workout room had weights, bikes, and treadmills- a couple of each - but not huge. Like the extra deck space you get without the sails. Overall, no reason for us not to want to go on another Windstar cruise again - probably on one the Star Legend or one of its sister ships preferred just because of the stateroom.

Defending Windstar and the Star Legend

DellWilley’s Full Rating Summary
Get Windstar Star Legend price drops

Ocean View Suite
Cabin S1 124
Great - no complaints. Loved it.
Deck 4 Suite Cabins