3. Magellan
My wife and myself booked this cruise back in the summer as we wanted to get away for christmas, and having previously cruised on CMV Marco Polo round Britain this year and enjoyed it we thought we would try the flagship, BUT what a difference a ship makes. We departed Tilbury 21/12/2015, and hadnt been underway 5 minutes when the Captain came on and said due to bad weather we were having to sail to Antwerp to avoid the worst of the weather I found that strange as my iphone app shipping forecast was giving the next day as the best weather of the week in the channel. HOWEVER if the Captain says thats the way it is fair enough. But as he pointed out we would not now as a result be sailing to Lansarote as scheduled. ( big dissapointment ) So we enjoyed the day in Antwerp, then we had 3 days of sailing down to Gibralter and would be arriving a day late. I am not going to review the fabric of the ship as I found our cabin spacious, the shower hot, and large, we had a window in the cabin so happy days. During the complete cruise only 2 of the lifts work, dont let anyone kid you this is not an issue IT IS on that ship, the stairs are steep my wife actually fell UP them during rough weather. We estimated that 80% of the passengers on this ship were between 80/85yrs old. this led to some very serious "whinging" over the 2 weeks especially over the lifts. The food provided was abysmal, we dined in the Waldorf Restaurant I love my food, but unfortunately the food provided was not good, there was plenty of choice but none of it suited me, and indeed that was a general concensus expressed during the cruise. Breakfast I ended up just going to the top deck buffet and making a bacon roll. We did hear that they had sacked the chef on the third day but that could have been due to the "serious rumour squad" that was in abundance throughout the cruise. Christmas day dinner instead of being a meal to remember became one to forget, in fact I was fed up with hearing the complaints about it. I think the problem is if you have indian chefs, and oriental\eastern european waiters, they fail to recognise what the British consider traditional christmas fair. Entertainment Very Poor, there was a comedian on who was good he did 2 nights but failing that it was the resident "entertainers" now lets make this clear I am no showman, but my wife enjoys a a good show, (cough) however there were no good shows to be had here another passenger said it was like "Butlins on Water." The entertainment manager was on Marco Polo when we cruised, I remember him saying he used to do a Robbie Williams tribute act so every time I hear him sing I hear a Robbie Williams song being murdered. anyway we went up to the top deck bistro to get away from the formality of the restaurant breakfast (before I took the bacon roll route) It was regularly packed deffinately a case of first up best dressed. People were hogging the tables instead of eating breakfast and moving on, especially as they could see people were hunting around for spare seats. My wife and I were stood up Christmas morning having a brew, and she said I cant believe its Christmas morning and Im having to stand up to drink a cup of tea. After that she opted for the breakfast in the cabin option, and I went the bacon roll route sat out on the top deck in sometimes bracing weather ! On Marco Polo the staff used to encourage you to move on when you had eaten, it was also published on the daily activities sheet, "please move on when you have eaten breakfast as others are waiting to eat" no such luck on Magellan it was described as a "bun fight" What really made me smile was the couples who sat on a table for 4 but they sat on opposite corners making it awkard for another couple to sit on the same table. Peter Kay could have got enough material for a whole new series from what went on on that ship. So back to the Antwerp diversion which cost us Lanzarote, it transpired that a young lady and young boy who arrived on the ship in Antwerp was the wife/son of the head of hotel, she had let the cat out the bag and said that they had been supposed to meet the ship in Gibralter, but was unable to get a flight but she had managed to drive down and meet the ship on our UNSCHEDULED stop in Antwerp. So the rumour quickly spread that she was the reason our trip to Lanzarote was cancelled caused a lot of resentment amongst the passengers true or not but it would be interesting to see the passenger manafest for Antwerp. Personally if that WAS the case I find it outrageous, and like others I will be emailing CMV for and answer to the question. the rest of the voyage passed we met some great people saw some fantastic places, we ended up coming back over the Bay of Biscay in a force 9 gale which was interesting the ship was effectlively locked down for the day. A helicopter med evac in the channel for someone who was seriously injured when a rogue wave hit the ship, and on arrival at Tilbury an hours wait to get off despite being priority. All in all we enjoyed the adventure, would we use this ship again ? NOT A CHANCE, The entertainment staff/Chefs all want a good old dose of sorting out. As they say we have been their, worn the dodgy T shirt and moved on. I hope you have a better experience on her than us.

Magellan Christmas and New Year Cruise From Tilbury

Magellan Cruise Review by Yonmons

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Europe

Yonmons’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

I was fine, large, with window and hot shower with plenty of room.