3. Wind Star
This was our first Windstar cruise and we loved it. I believe each cruise line has a personality and people need to match their personality to the cruise line's personality. Windstar matches our's and will become our first choice in the future. We prefer smaller, less crowded informal ships with good service and Windstar delivers on these qualities. The staff are wonderful. Windstar's entertainment is minimal and this suits us just fine as we prefer to go to bed early and get up early to enjoy the day. The cruise director gave a port talk each day which I found very helpful. We did the Barbados RT cruise and are glad we did it now. We are 56 and 60, and I think this itinerary is challenging for older people or those with mobility challenges. At some of the ports, transfers were made using zodiacs instead of tenders which are not easy to get in and out of. Some of the ports only had snorkel or catamaran excursions that were not feasible for people with mobility issues. We love to snorkel so we had a great time. The cabins are small but very well set up with enough storage space. Just about all the cabins are the same except for the suites. The room stewards are wonderful and do a great job. The reception on the TV needs improvement. The food ranged from good to excellent; the desserts ranged from mediocre to excellent. I would not rate the food as 5 star but overall it was very good. The service was excellent. Embarkation and debarkation were very easy. Overall we had a great time. The water is rough on this route and the yacht rocked a lot. I don't recommend this itinerary for those who get seasick easily. I usually don't and I got a little queazy. I actually felt better up on deck than I did in my cabin. Ports and excursions: St. Lucia - Pigeon Island. We did not do an excursion here and wished we did. We spent the day at the beach which was lovely. Their are lounge chairs but they are not very comfortable for any length of time. We snorted along the rocks but only saw a few fishes; not worth the effort. Grenada - Beautiful island. We did the Champaign snorkel excursion and loved it. We snorkeled by the sculptures; the water clarity was very good so we had great views of the sculptures and fish. People on other cruises had mixed reviews; if the clarity was not good I can see it being a disappointment. The catamaran was one of the nicest I have every been on. The staff were excellent. I hope to go back to Grenada and spend a week there. Tobacco Cays - Beautiful water. We snorkeled in the morning and went to the beach in the afternoon. Snorkeling was great but I did not like the catamaran. It was large and there were just too many people on it. It took too long to get into the water. I would rather pay more and have less people on a smaller boat. Also I did not feel safe using the ladders on the boat. We saw beautiful coral and a lot of fish. We also saw many turtles. The beach Windstar transports you to wis beautiful and crystal clear water but there are no chairs on the beach so it's hard to spend too long there. Mayeau - Beautiful beach with crystal clear water. The ship held its beach barbecue here and it was great. Plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. We snorkeled toward the rock outcrop and it was very nice. Beckque - lovely town. We took the tender to town, walked around and then took a path to Princess Margaret beach. The beach was just so so but the walk to the beach was lovely. However, it was not an easy walk and not doable for people with mobility issues. We took a tender back to the ship from the beach.

Windstar Cruise; Barbados Round Trip

Wind Star Cruise Review by columbusnj

Embarkation and debarkation were very easy.

Ports and excursions: