Norwegian Sky Cruise Review

Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by BloodRN

• Sail Date: Jan 2016
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Porthole Window

We decided to do a short cruise to see how we would like it. We enjoyed seeing the Bahamas but do not feel a need to ever go back to Nassau. Embarkation went quite well but I only have to compare it to other reviews. We found a bar on deck 12 and took in the sights of Miami and South Beach. Anthony, the bartender was very accommodating. The pool was a disappointment for the amount of passengers onboard. It looked like a pool from an '80's Motel 6 with four hot tubs that were always full. Lunch was good and sanitizer is everywhere!

We decided to find our room and were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade. We bought GTY inside and received a porthole. I have never been on a ship and feel it was very comfortable for two. There was a mini bar which we emptied and put our own drinks in it. Then, at the end were charged for them even though we did not use them. The room had a small, flat screen tv. The best part was our steward, Samiada. He called us by name and set up my birthday surprise for my hubby. He decorated our room and there was a delicious cake ready for us to eat.

Dinner buffet was fine. None of the buffets would be considered gourmet but it was sufficient. Breakfast, on the other had, was disappointing. I love breakfast and I didn't find much more than fruit to eat. I love bacon and eggs. The egg station line was too long and the bacon was barely cooked. We ate at The Crossings for dinner one night and it was very good. We did not buy any extra food packages. A foodie may want to do that or be disappointed. The casino is tiny. I did fine but hubby lost. They only are open in International waters.

The comedian, Alvin, was hilarious. The Deal or No Deal game was fun, though few were in the theatre. The Newlywed game was a lot of fun, too. Tyler, the cruise director, is very funny and should try to do improv/television. The bands were good and dancing looked fun. Great Stirrup Cay is one stop. I loved it. It is beautiful. It was cloudy but warm so I think it deterred others from jumping on a tender to go to the private island. The island workers were not very friendly. The cruise ship workers did a fine job, especially Ray and Mario at the beach bar where they were slammed. Very few tipped them probably because we are charged gratuity up front. We still tipped. Shore excursions to Atlantis was overpriced. I wish I would have just checked out the queens staircase and shopped in town.

Disembarkation was scheduled for 0745. We waited in line at 0730 but it did not start moving until 0805. In summary, I learned that I do not have a tendency to get seasick and that was a worry. In other ports, I saw newer ships with better pools. If I cruise again with my husband, I will check out a bigger boat to other ports. I would not rule out NCL because the customer service was pretty good. I would also cruise on the Sky again but with different company, like a girlfriend trip or mother/daughter trip.

BloodRN's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Porthole Window
Cabin OH 8075

Nice cabin upgraded from a GTY inside. A decent size closet for a weekend cruise with a safe. Small, flat screen tv. Small couch and a very comfortable bed. There is shampoo in a dispenser so you may want to bring your own. Shower had good pressure and lots of little cubbies for all your toiletries.

Great Stirrup Cay

Gorgeous island. Beaches are well taken care of and the BBQ lunch was good. Try the chicken. Do not feed the seagulls. How annoying to see people do that and then when you ask them not to because the birds are pests, they do not understand English. Ugh!

Nassau

The aquarium is very interesting. They have recreated the Lost City. It is massive. Lots of marine life to see.

Nassau

The beach was closed due to waves. I was very disappointed. We were given chairs by their small lagoon. We had an opportunity to have our money refunded before we left ship. I wish we had.

Miami

We just drove in heavy traffic to get on the ship. Miami is a city. I did not plan to look around. Been there, done that. Ready to sail....

BloodRN