3. Costa Deliziosa
My husband and I are avid cruisers, having cruised on NCL, Princess, Holland America, Carnival, MSC, Celebrity and even a Costa Caribbean cruise. We booked a back-to-back leaving Venice, going to Italy, Greece and Turkey and the 2nd leg back to Florida (36 days total). The first problem was the itinerary change AFTER we paid our final deposit and had already booked our airfare. We really wanted to see Turkey (2 stops) but they changed the itinerary and substituted Croatia and Montenegro. So, this wasn't a deal-breaker but we were disappointed as there were other ships that were going to Turkey. Then, the 2nd problem - we were to embark in Venice but when we arrived at the port, the ship was not there due to weather. They ported the ship in Trieste and we had to be transported for a 2 hour coach ride to Trieste. The whole process was a nightmare (totally disorganized and a complete disregard for passenger comfort). We had to sit in the Venice terminal for 2 hours before our bus got there, with not even water being offered. Third problem, once we got on the ship in Trieste, they closed the buffet line 10 minutes after we got there so food was limited and we had not eaten since breakfast. There were hundreds of passengers still being transported so I'm sure they were not happy when they got there with no food until dinner at 7:30. Fourth problem, our cabin was fine for the first leg but we had to change for the transatlantic portion. This cabin (6234) was the cabin from hell...next to the steward station, crew stairway and below the room service prep area. Banging, clanging and slamming all day and all night. We complained and requested a cabin change but were told nothing was available. After 3 nights, we were so fed up we were ready to disembark the ship and fly home at the next port. I told the Cruise Director and, somehow, they miraculously found us another cabin (which actually was a good one). Fifth problem - my husband and I eat 2 meals a day (late breakfast and late lunch) at the buffet as eating late meals just do not work for us. This was not a problem on all the American-style ships we have cruised on. The Deliziosa meal schedule was quite different. Breakfast in the buffet was predominately pastries, breads, a few cold cereal choices, yogurt and fruit. There was no skim milk for our cereal so we basically diluted it with water. On the transatlantic portion of the cruise they did add eggs and bacon to the buffet. Hot drinks (coffee and tea) were only provided at breakfast and during "snack hour" which was 4:00 -5:00 p.m.- there were none at lunch or dinner. If you wanted them, they had to be ordered from the bar staff and charged to the cabin. The only cold drink you could get without being charged was water (no iced tea or flavored beverages at all). They actually turned off the water and ice machines after lunch. Snack time was a zoo - they only opened one station (food and beverage) so the lines were horrific to get finger sandwiches and hot coffee/tea. Pizza was available free for about 3 hours each day (plain - tomato sauce with cheese). If you wanted a different kind of pizza, you had to pay for it at night. There was a charge for room service (I think 5 euro per person) but we never used it. The buffet usually closed by 3:00 p.m. and did not re-open until 7. Even then, the choices were pretty limited. LOTS of pasta available, though, at lunch. We enjoy other ships because they provide popcorn, ice cream, etc. but Costa did not provide anything at all except what was available at meal time. We found the entertainment to be mediocre. I realize it's hard to schedule entertainment for people who speak so many languages so I hate to bash them for this. I was disappointed, however, at how obnoxious and rude many of the passengers were. During the shows, they would talk loudly and leave once the announcements had been made in their particular language. Meal time was especially exasperating as they would basically run you over, push you out of the way, talk and even SING loudly and generally make meal time an annoying affair. We enjoy using the dry sauna for relaxation but again found the people to be loud and annoying while we tried to relax...I realize the ship cannot do anything about this but it is something you may to consider when taking this ship or this cruise line. All the English-speaking people we talked to on the ship seemed to have the same opinion of this cruise.

Not What I Expected

FLtraveler1954’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Deliziosa price drops

Inside Classic
Cabin IC 6234
DO NOT EVER BOOK THIS CABIN. Next to the steward station and crew staircase and below the room service prep area. Noise is deafening - day and night. Banging, clanging, drawers slamming, doors slamming.
Ortensia Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins