3. Oosterdam
After travelling on a number of cruise lines I had 3 bad experiences with Holland America. It does not matter the ship because its the same attitude. May 2013 (Alaska) with friends, September 2014 (Alaska) with my parents and December 2015 Caribbean with my husband) (only because of a small cruise credit) there was problems with cross contamination with food. These issues can be very serious and even lead to death. I will itemize: 1. If you have a shell food allergy you can NEVER eat an omelet because in the Lido they do not have vegetarian only pans. They cook everything in the pans with prawns, meat etc. This also would not work for people who are vegetarian, vegan, Jewish or Muslim. 2. When they make sandwiches they do not follow international standards and use utensils for each container. You have them using a a gloved hand and handling pork, then tomatoes, then turkey, then cheese so you cannot even have a vegetarian sandwich. Sandwiches are the only thing available to each after doing a tour. So we had nothing to eat. 3. They said one dish was a beef roll up and the chef said it only had vegetables added. A six inch piece of bacon is the funniest looking vegetable I saw. Holland America - bacon is pork and a meat!. 4 Lasagna was to have ground beef in it and ended up being beef and pork mixed. Other issues: 5 The gym manager said that exercises for abdominal muscles do not work to decrease waist size and will only increase the waist size. He told me to attend a session that would help. I attended and that session and it was to sell a test and blue green algae which was a product that the owners of the spa and gym sell. 6 The entertainment was poor and repeated frequently. Sometime the people doing the sessions did not even show up like for lessons on the metals drums. 7. Tomatoes in the salad bar were mushy and seems to be 'off'. I discussed this with the guest services manager, executive chef to correct the issue. The executive chef assured me it had been dealt with but the behaviour was witnessed at least 7 least seven times over the 21 days. I sent an email to the company with no response in a week. I would never recommend this line. There are many other line in the same price range. Holland America, like in baseball its 3 strikes you are out!!!

Watch out for food cross contamination and more.

Oosterdam Cruise Review by dkali@dccnet.com

4 Lasagna was to have ground beef in it and ended up being beef and pork mixed.

Other issues:

7. Tomatoes in the salad bar were mushy and seems to be 'off'.

Holland America, like in baseball its 3 strikes you are out!!!
dkali@dccnet.com’s Full Rating Summary