Marella Dream Cruise Review

Transatlantic Wonder

Marella Dream Cruise Review by mansej

• Sail Date: Dec 2015
  • Destination: Transatlantic

We flew from Gatwick to Las Palmas to join the Dream on December 5th, 2015 for a 17 day cruise across the Atlantic. Embarkation onto the ship was swift and painless. As we had sailed on her before we found our own way to our cabin which was on deck 5, outside No 50187. Pleasantly surprised to find how big the cabin was, as we previously had an outside plus. It had a nice square window, a sofa and just a shower (no bath). I preferred a shower only as thought we had more room. We were very satisfied with our steward Boho who kept the cabin clean with the minimum of fuss.

The ship itself was spotless, the recent refurbishment has definitely improved the ship to a much higher spec. The new bar, Waters Edge was lovely but unfortunately there was not enough seating and it got very crowded later at night. In some instances standing room only. To be honest I am not sure they could put much more seating in there as the casino merges with the room at the entrance.

The other improvements on the open deck where the Lido is was also very good and gave it a much cleaner look. The sun deck with its comfortable beds is also an asset.

As for the food. Breakfast as usual were spot on and had plenty of choice regardless of where you ate. The same applied to lunch and the late afternoon snacks. Which we stopped having because we were too full after to enjoy our evening meal.

This we always had in the Orion, again we enjoyed it all from the brilliant service by the lovely Trudy, Samuel and Rafaelle our wine waiter to the choices on the menu, to the food itself. Okay some meals were better than others but we had lobster twice and an excellent sirloin steak plus other lovely choices. All in the price.

The drinks package was fine, if you chose carefully and asked for drinks done to your taste.

Entertainment as usual was very good apart from the Comedy show.

The itinerary was good and nearly all the ports of call you could do independently. First time for me to the Caribbean and to be honest apart from the white sand, blue seas and stunning weather I was not impressed. I did however really enjoy the crossing itself and I am very glad I went.

Of course the main asset this ship has is its wonderful, caring, funny, smiley crew. They go out of their way to make sure everything is as perfect as possible. From the efficient, funny Joan in the Medusa, Iany in Tides, Jade in Waters edge to the very funny Jeffrey (apologies for spelling) they could not be faulted. I am sorry I can not mention you all but take it as read, you were all brilliant and an asset to the company.

I have only a few negatives.

Where the artists play in the evening should be changed more often so that everyone has a chance to see them.

The sunbed policy should be implemented properly, then everyone can get a chance to move around a bit more.

The keeping of seats anywhere for any length of time for large crowds should not be allowed. I understand that friends want to sit together but sometimes these were kept for far to long, in some cases well over and hour. Not fair.

mansej's Full Rating Summary

Cabin outside 5187

Roomy, clean nice square window near a very convenient lift which was not used as often as the main ones.

mansej