3. Pacific Jewel
This was a 4-day cruise from Sydney to Moreton Island and return. Whilst the cruise itself was very good, the standard of food and service was definitely below par. P&O Australia is generally cheaper than other cruise lines servicing Australia, and you get what you pay for! The compulsory safety demonstration was awful, with both levels of the theatre overcrowded and apparently no air-conditioning. In future, if I cruise again with P&O, I will arrive late and, even though I might have to stand, I will not have to wait 20-30 minutes, crammed in like sardines in a overly hot auditorium, for the lecture to begin. P&O have introduced what they call The Pantry for their buffet service. On this cruise it was self-serve, but many times guests have to go to several stations to get a full meal. In the Waterfront Dining Room, food was average, and the only thing which arrived hot from the kitchen were the soups. Staff were not well trained, for instance starting to clear the table before all diners were finished, and, at times, being over-familiar with touches. However, for a short break it was just what the doctor ordered. My adult daughter and I chose a snorkelling excursion on Moreton Island and it was the best snorkelling experience I have ever had. There was such a variety of fish, including a huge shy grouper and several stingrays. It was truly a value for money excursion.

Good Cruise, Average Ship

Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by suffkaye

suffkaye’s Full Rating Summary
Get P&O Australia Pacific Jewel price drops

Spacious interior cabin, with possibly the best wardrobe/storage space of any ship I have travelled on.

• Snorkeling
    Wetsuits were compulsory, and they added to the enjoyment of the excursion - once I got over the discomfort of putting on a wet wetsuit!

Several ships have been sunk just off the resort on Moreton Island, and they have attracted a great variety of fish, both tropical and other, ie. bream.
    I also saw a group of stingrays pass by, and a huge shy grouper.

We were led by guide through the wrecks, and it was the most enjoyable snorkelling excursion I have taken, including a couple overseas.
    View All 4 Snorkeling Reviews