3. Sun Princess
This cruise over Christmas and New Year was not worth the premium that we paid to travel at this time of the year. I don't think we got anything extra to justify the daily price of travel over a holiday period. This was my third Princess cruise and each time the entertainment (Production shows) have become more pedestrian and uninteresting. The dancers seemed to be just going through the motions and there were only 2 singers for each production that I saw. I was disappointed as I had cruised on Sun Princess in 2006 and was highly entertained by the shows and music. This was a major reason why I chose to continue with Princess, however I realise that all cruise lines have their limitations when it comes to entertainment and it is a bit of a lottery what you get on any given cruise. Other entertainers varied in their ability to engage with the audience and their level of talent. Some were really fun and lively, others were simply dreadful and I Ieft after a few songs. In future, I will be trying out other cruise lines as my previous decision to remain loyal to Princess mainly for the entertainment has been revised after this experience. However on a positive note, the Movies under the Stars is a really good innovation but somewhat spoiled by the unsupervised children in the nearby swimming pools making so much noise that it distracted from our enjoyment of the movies. The shore excursions were the most expensive that I have encountered on any cruise. The itinerary definitely left a lot to be desired in terms of variety and interesting places to visit. I wouldn't recommend any of the excursions as value for money. Customer relations - It is really unfortunate on Cruise ships that as the staff are on contract they will generally not challenge rude abusive passengers and just stand there taking whatever is dished out in case they get a bad review. Or they simply don't know or are not trained how to set boundaries in the customer service environment. This creates a poor atmosphere for passengers who then have to be a witness to some peoples' ignorant attitudes. I realise that Contract employees anywhere are subjected to similar constraints and this is one of the down sides of being employed on such a basis. However, Princess needs to lift its game in how it trains staff to deal with this sort of behaviour. Despite the above, the most positive thing I have encountered on Princess cruises is the personal nature of the customer service which has always been friendly and helpful. Food: Unfortunately, I found that the Horizon Court food lacked variety (e.g. if you want variety you have to pay extra to go to a theme restuarant.) At least you could be assured of getting the same food at most of the meals. It was disappointing not to have theme nights as on previous cruises e.g. Asian, Indian etc. Facilities: The public toilets were frequently messy with wet floors and paper scattered around. Sometimes it was quite hazardous to navigate your way through the water on the floor! Also, they were not serviced frequently enough for the volume of people using them. The decks surrounding the swimming pools didn't have enough staff to keep them clean and tidy throughout the days. There was often spilled drinks, popcorn and other rubbish lying around. Also the used towels were left lying about when passengers were long gone. The International Cafe lacked any rubbish bins for passengers to dispose of their disposable cups and paper waste and due to lack of staff cleaning up, we often had to sit at a table covered in other people's waste. Air conditioning was variable throughout the ship, some areas were very cold e.g. Vista Lounge and others were stuffy and hot e.g. Princess Theatre. They didn't seem to be able to manage a stable temperature in the public areas. Would I travel Princess again?? - probably if the itinerary is right. However after this average experience I no longer have Princess at the top of my preference list!! In my recent travels, I have found some cheaper cruise lines with more passengers per ship are leaving them behind in terms of passenger experience and facilities.

Sun Princess; Barely There for Entertainment

Cruising 10’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sun Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IF B311
I couldn't fault this cabin. It was a spacious inside accessible which suited my needs and mobility requirements at the time. Most of the fittings and facilities were well maintained and comfortable except a couple of partially broken drawers which remained very hard to open or close throughout the cruise. Nothing was done to fix them.

The single bedding was comfortable, however I had brought my own memory foam overlay so it may not have been as good without it.

The TV in the room was somewhat challenging to use, frequently becoming 'stuck' on a channel then we couldn't move it to another channel.

Our cabin attendant was excellent - always friendly, smiling and nothing was too much trouble. He more than made up for some of the irritations experienced on this voyage.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins