3. Oasis of the Seas
Let me begin by saying i am not bashing rccl as a matter of fact we are avid cruisers with rccl however based on our recent experience on oasis it is obvious that much like comcast cable when you get too big – customer service and one on one interaction suffers a great deal. We have 9 cruises under our belt and have been to 3 ports located in ft lauderdale, orlando and new orleans. Above all orlando still remains the very best; port everglades on the other hand still has some bugs to work out. so upon our arrival all the baggage personnel were either unwilling or unable to assist. As a matter of fact i unloaded my car with luggage in the street and waited for assistance, this has never happened before – as a matter of fact the people working the load and unload area are pretty much hopping so i am not sure what went wrong this time. Our check in at the rccl desk was fast and very efficient – due in part because we had all our check in done on line with papers in hand prior to walking to the desk so this expedited our check in. we proceeded to the top floor and that’s where things went a little squirrely the security person working up stairs was a little wound up and very loud when it came to the sitting areas and i was a little upset that when my wife and i sat in the platinum area we were questioned – even after we showed two previous security persons prior to entering the area. Again not a show stopper but a little rude. Boarding the ship was quick and easy – we knew our way around oasis as we traveled on her sister ship the allure of the seas just a year ago. Traditionally we go to the pool deck and have our bon-voyage drink and picture to our friends on dry land. So let’s get to the nitti gritty – the oasis is a beautiful ship however it is too big if you are looking for one on one interaction with the crew. At full capacity there are approx. 6300 passengers and 2400 crew members half of which most likely are bridge, maintenance and cooks. So the ratio is for every 5-6 guests there is 1 crew member available. For some reason we are firm believers that the freedom and voyager class ships have more one on one interaction. Pre-Safety Check in Before Sailing We were all gathered into one of the main dining rooms and were told to watch a video - the video started with a 3 minute cartoon which lost everyone's attention in a matter of seconds - by time the safety video came on all i heard were other passengers saying it was a waste of time. Honestly the cartoon was a waist of time but the safety video is always worth watching. For those crew members we were able to have one on one with they were fantastic it’s just a shame that that there wasn’t more. as for the entertainment – the cruise director in our opinion absolutely failed at his job performance the only thing he did was walk around showing his abs and work out structure – even during one of the entertainment segments on the promenade deck he begin dancing and working the crowd and it turned into a jane fonda workout routine - it was so awful we had to walk away. the hi light performance “cats” was cancelled due to an injury to a cast member (which happens) but the cruise director has absolutely nothing to offer in its place – another fail in our opinion. As i mentioned to my wife it didn’t have to be a broad way show – just something to fill in the time – but that never presented it-self. Windjammer – the worst we have encountered yet not so much the food but the seating arrangements are extremely terrible not once did we have to stop and look for a table breakfast lunch or dinner and the way it is set up is truly and engineer failure. The freedom class and voyager class ships have a much better arrangement. as for the food – well i never comment on cruise food because everyone i speak to thinks it’s the best in the world – truth is – it’s no better than the food you get at a dryland buffet. My only complaint about the food is that 80% of it was asian type food, every day. there was no mix or change in the menu which is pretty sad in my opinion. Overall the Restrooms were 80% - my wife encountered a few of the public restrooms – dirty not toilet paper – no hand towels We did eat at the main dining room, johnny rockets and giovannis and all were fantastic. Great wait staff and service So we have had the opportunities to sail on allure and oasis (for comparison) and unfortunately the reviews are the same – the ships are too big and not enough one on one interaction with the crew – much like comcast and other big cable companies once you try to monopolize the industry the first thing to go is customer service. Debarking the Ship Rccl has to do a lot better for those wanting to express check off the ship - they continue to have people line up around elevators and stair cases when they have 510 feet of promenade floor space - it is very unsafe and disorganized the way they have this arranged. As we approached the customs check in we were diverted from our group and told to use the elevator - we have always used the escalators so having someone tell me i have to use an elevator in my opinion is not their concern - beyond that the customs clearance went fairly fast. OUR OPINIONS Pre-Safety Check All ships are required to walk passengers through the emergency safety procedures we consistently hear people say "we didn't have to do this on carnival or holland etc." truth is yes this is a mandated maritime law for all cruise lines. It last 15 minutes and could save your life - my fear is the passengers who complain - talk and do not pay attention during this 15 minutes are going to be the ones flipping out if something serious happened. These are the people that will need direction that could cost other people their lives - it doesn't take long to get through it - better safe then sorry. Respect I still find it extremely hard to understand how human beings can treat others with disrespect; we encountered a few passengers that treat the workers like their own personal servants. I am reminded of the time we were at the windjammer and my wife and i just finished lunch – i looked up and seen a couple looking for a table – i asked if they would like ours – they said yes thank you … so my wife and i proceeded to clean our mess and stack our dishes so it could be a quick turn around, and the women looked right at me and said “oh honey you don’t have to do that – that’s what these people are here for” – i looked her straight in the eye and said “your absolutely right they are here to clear the table not here as my personal servant if i can lend them a hand i will do what i can in appreciation for their work” – she was dumbfounded and i left her speechless – these are people working to make your vacation a special one – if your expectations are to be served hand and foot i can assure you – whatever way you look at it – you will never be satisfied. Helping to clean your mess at a table costs you no effort or extra time… For the smokers – unlike the freedom class / voyager class ships you can only smoke on deck 15 / 16 and of course the casino. Smoking is only allowed on the port (left) side of ship as you look at the bow. The seating is scarce and the area small. As for non-smokers being a smoker i am polite and will not bring my habit into your environment between the ship size and the wind blowing constantly i find it extremely rare that you will get a breath full – with that being said if you don’t smoke there is absolutely no need to walk through the smoking area with towels and clothes wrapped around your face making snipe rude comments the port side is the smoke side so if you don’t want to walk through the area change your direction and walk on the starboard side. We apologize that we have a habit. Casino Players We were in the casino one evening when a passenger and his daughter came to the table we were playing cards at. Bear in mind we are in the smoking section of the casino not interrupting any nonsmokers. Nonetheless this rude obnoxious passenger and his daughter come to the table – literally threw their money across to the dealer and ask for change – and then proceed to make a rude comment to the dealer about cleaning up the area he was sitting at if he wants him to play – my jaw dropped and i blurted our “seriously” at which my wife elbowed me – i said that couldn’t be any more rude then it was intended – she agreed and we ignored. At the same time my wife was smoking and this passenger’s daughter looks to my wife and asks her to put out her cigarette if she was done…. At which time i wanted to say – no one invited you to the smoking side. Point is if people think they are all that – at which they can treat others rudely because they are successful in life – count your blessings and please don’t complain if you knowingly walk into a smoking section – people do smoke there.

Oasis of the Seas and Comcast Cable Co; what’s in common?

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Srandaz2

Respect

Casino Players

Srandaz2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Cabin 9108 is located on the Port Side Front of the Ship - being in the corner you get a little more room to move around. The movement at the front is not bad at all - i actually enjoy the steady movement for sleep. the only draw back is - if your curtain is open at night you cannot put your lights on as it shines into the bridge area located just above you. Other than that it was a minute walk to elevators and nice and quiet.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans