3. Norwegian Epic
Dec 2015 we took a 10 day cruise on the Norwegian Epic. My previous experience was on the Cost Concordia (before it sank) so this would be my comparison. I did have a good time and would possibly return again, there will never be a perfect trip. The 10 days meant that we had some days at sea and it was more relaxing because there was not the hassle of getting up early and going ashore. First impression of Norwegian Cruise company, From booking there was a general lack of information, we ordered a balcony with the drinks and gratuities package, to date I still do not have a breakdown of what the packages cost on top of the price. We sailed from Barcelona, and as there are about 12 docks in Barcelona I had to email Norwegian to find out which one to embark. Previous experience the taxi took us to the wrong dock. First impression of Norwegian Epic. It was no where nearly as nicely decorated as the Concordia, a lot of the colours used where shades of brown. The cabin was a touch narrow so that two people could not pass between the dressing table and bed, this is probably why they manage to fit 4,100 guest on board. There was no bathroom, the shower and toilet were 2 separate plastic cubicles/ pods at each side of the cabin entrance, I hated the wash basin which was mounted on the end of the dressing table near the base of the bed, it had a tall tap/faucet that leaned in to the basin and made it impossible to wash your face over the basin. I like the idea of Free Style cruising which means that there is no set time or table to dine from, there is a choice of about 18 different restaurants that you can choose covering almost the whole day, for example if you fancy a Chinese meal go to the Chinese restaurant. Some restaurants have cover charge so you have to know in advance, we went to Cagney’s one night which was very expensive at €76 for 2 people, considering meals are covered anyway on board. It was a constant battle of wits trying to discover what you do and do not pay for, even though I had the drinks package and could obtain free alcoholic drinks from any of the bar etc., it cost me €6.34 for a ½ litre bottle of water which is not covered, if you take drinks out of the drinks fridge in your room it will cost you. WiFi cost is $125 for 270 minutes or $76 for 110 min. To have a guided tour of the ships facilities will cost $75. To hire an ordinary wheelchair for my wife $260 . TV channels were poor for the English, there were German, French, Spanish, the BBC world service did not cover UK news or weather, there were a few movies in English. There was always some entertainment going on which was excellent, in the theatre, bars, etc, professional stage shows, comedians, magician’s groups’ bands etc much more than the Concordia. There was a recreated Cavern Club, and the Beatles were excellent also. One problem was the theatre was much too small, about ½ the size of the Concordia, necessitating booking in advance to gain entry for any of the shows, we booked 2 shows via the interactive TV in our cabin, only to find that a bug in the system had not in fact booked us, we subsequently turned up at the theatre only to be turned away because of no booking, this happened to our friends also, so we booked at the desk and had to wait a week to see the next shows, fortunately we were on a 10 day cruise, otherwise we would have missed out. We found the shore excursions were very expensive, my tip is do not book, when you go ashore there are lots of companies and taxis that will take you around for less than ½ the excursion price, better still if can arrange a party of 8 people. Although we had a gratuities package, the staff/crew where so good we left tips to be sure that they received it, so next time we will not obtain a gratuities package.

No Cruise is perfect

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Dan Wall

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

There was a recreated Cavern Club, and the Beatles were excellent also.

Dan Wall’s Full Rating Summary