3. Anthem of the Seas
This is my 75th cruise, and my children's 22nd cruise. We are Emerald members on Royal Caribbean and Gold members on Disney. I do not recall the statuses on Norwegian or Carnival. We went on the Anthem of The Seas for a New Year's cruise. We had been on the Quantum of the Seas last Christmas and booked the Anthem of the seas for this New Years while on board. Check in was fast and efficient. We were met with people with ipads who checked us in without having to wait on a line. Our rooms were ready when promised and a tremendous plus, all of our luggage was at our room, Room was immaculate and in great condition. My husband met the room attendant whom he described as unhappy. I did not meet her until day 4 of the cruiser and she could barely grumble a hello. She did her job well cabin was clean but her mood was best described as cranky. The Anthem of the seas as well as the Quantum are designed to be technologically advanced. This being said, it is my assumption that more time is spent training the staff on the technical aspect of doing their job rather than customer service. All over the ship, in every department, the staff was not friendly. Efficient at their jobs, but not friendly. When we finally encountered staff who were friendly, we immediately asked what ship had they been on previously, and the friendly staff had come from the Freedom, Adventurer, Allure or Oasis. Better staff training is needed on the Anthem. Staff members who were very friendly were Lemuel, Piedro and Rosa. All from the American Icon dining room. Colin from the IFLY department was responsive to passengers needs and friendly. Most cruisers chose this ship becasue of the attractions onboard the ship. However having stated that, on this cruise there were only enough slots for 60% of the guests to go on the Ifly. My children had their time slots so we were happy. The bumper cars had tremendous wait times. My son waited 44 minutes to get on the bumper cars, this is not relaxing for anyone. The trapeze was broken for the first 5 days of the cruise and on the 6th day there were not enough time slots for my daughter to get on the trapeze. On the 7th day, I waited 1 hour and 15 minutes to get a wrist band so that my daughter could then get a turn on the trapeze, which she did and loved. However, me waiting on line for a wrist band is not part of my dream vacation. On the flow rider, there was over a 1 hour wait, each time. For those who have seen the other ships flow riders, it is easy to accommodate 2 people at a time but this was understaffed so only 1 person at a time could be on the flow rider. The time spent waiting for the attractions and the time spent waiting for the wrist bands for the POSSIBILITY of using the attractions was like being at Disney World during Christmas week, not fun and not always productive. As for the show We will Rock You, the singers and actors were fantastic, however the show seemed to have been written by a 4th grader. The plot was silly as were the lines. We are used to better shows on Royal Caribbean. We saw Mamma Mia, on the Quantum last year and it was truly Broadway quality. We have seen Chicago on another ship and that was Broadway quality as well. For the second production show, The Gift, the ship stated that there were technical difficulties and the show could not go on. The actors then did a singing show which was fine. The cruise at the last minute flew in another act to subsiitute for The Gift, which were the 50 Shades of Buble. While this was not terrible, this act was more suited towards the crowds on Celebrity Cruises. The comedian and the ventriloquist, and the Journey Cover band were all acts worthy of Royal Caribbean and enjoyed by everyone. The food in all of the dining rooms was OK, not great, There is a tremendous push to dine in the specialty restaurants. We have eaten in Chops Grille on the Freedom 2 times, did not find it spectacular so we chose to stay in the dining rooms that were included in the price. New Years Eve was a standard New Years Eve on a cruise ship and they did it well. The only thing that was offensive was that they were selling glow in the dark toys. I find that offensive because other cruise lines give that out for free, and when you are paying for a New Years cruise, which is top price, you really do not want to be nickeled and dimed for light up toys. The shore excursion on Coco Cay to swim with the sting rays was fantastic. We had done it on Disney where we pet the sting rays, but this has you swimming with them, and the staff was fantastic. Overall, all I can say is that we did not get what we paid for. We had booked the Anthem for next year (prior to sailing) and cancelled the booking. We are looking forward to being on the Oasis in February and the Freedom in April. The staff needs to be trained in customer service, the activities need to be stream lined so that all passengers can make use of the activities.

Amusement Park of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by CRUISEWITHMYKIDS

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Bahamas

CRUISEWITHMYKIDS’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Clean and in great condition
  Anthem of the Seas Deck Plans