3. Volendam
Some people have inflated expectations, and (as a result) complain too much. We embarked in Sydney and stayed on the Volendam in Singapore for a second cruise in SE Asia. We liked the Volendam much. It is smaller than the Oosterdam (which we sampled in March 2015), easier to find your way around, and you don't feel feel (after walking stern to bow) that they should install travelators. Our stateroom was in very good condition and appears to have been refurished in the last two years (certainly this is true of the bathrooms). When you think fairly about it, you have to agree that the food is extraordinary in variety and quality both in the Lido and the Rotterdam. Alaskan snow crab on a few nights!!!! What's to complain about??? (One gripe: on a few occasions, food that should have been piping hot was tepid - this is an issue of food safety as well as enjoyment). Entertainments were many and varied, though I believe that avid readers have a head-start in the entertainment stakes. I'm afraid that most of the 'big show' entertainments in the Franz Hals lounge left me for dead. I may be going deaf, HAL, but I'm not interested in 'music' that is so loud that my ear drums were blasted on to the opposite wall! In case you hadn't noticed, few of your customers are teenagers! In contrast, I thoroughly enjoyed Adagio (classical), the Australian piano man (excellent!) and Michael (the very talented guitarist) who offered alternative, quite excellent entertainment. We had a pilot who boarded in Sydney and disembarked in Darwin, and who made some presentations on the reef and other subjects. He had very strong opinions on the future of the reef and Its current management by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA). Both the future and the management are subjects of controversy, and this officer should have acknowledged both sides. Instead, he implied clearly that critics of GBRMPA can all be dismissed as 'greenies', whose fears are baseless. At least one of these critics is an Emeritus Professor of Marine Science (I think formerly at the ANU), and an internationally acknowledged expert on the reef (in contrast to our erstwhile pilot). I found this pilot to be arrogant and annoying in the extreme. He's entitled to strong opinions, but should be more careful in expressing them. So, I have some gripes. But all in all, this is a very cheap (but at the same time good quality) way to have an overseas holiday.

A Good Deal, with Some Deserved Criticisms