3. Oasis of the Seas
After many tries, my wife and I convinced our 2 sons (20 and 17) to do a cruise, so we decided to have a warm Christmas and head to the Caribbean. We chose Oasis of the Seas primarily due to the wide range of options for things to do, and we were not disappointed at all in that regard! We stayed 2 nights prior to the cruise at the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina and it was fine for what we needed. On embarkation day we arrived at the terminal about 10:30, and were checked in very promptly with virtually no waiting. We spent about 30 minutes seated before getting on board, but had expected this so no worries there (beter than sitting at the hotel). Our suggested time was 12:30 but we were going to get onboard as soon as we could. Once onboard, we went to guest services to enquire about wi fi and the RCCl phones. We found out that the phones were not available any more, and decided to do the family wi fi package which was $280 for the 7 days. This turned out to be a very good choice, as we could all communicate via text anywhere onboard the ship, and our sons were still connected to their social media apps. The wi fi was excellent, speed was very quick, better than most hotels I have stayed at, and I travel quite a bit for work. We had adjoining rooms overlooking Central Park (no balcony), and the rooms were well appointed and comfortable. Our room attendent was very good and looked after us well. To my mind the storage space was a bit less than I had experienced on other ships, but we managed just fine. Was the first (and likely last) time we had a room with no balcony, and I missed the connection with the outside and the fresh air that can be had, but with the full family it was not an option cost wise. The Oasis of the seas has so many different things to see and do, I don't think we were able to get everything done, but relaxation time probably cut into that. Our favorite place was the Solarium at the front of the ship, it was excellent. 2 hot tubs and one refreshing pool in the area, and 2 huge hot tubs that are set over the side of the ship close by. There are 3 other swimming pools, and another 4? hot tubs on the ship. They were busy on sea days but that has been the case on every cruise I have been on. Central Park is fantastic, it is hard to explain and the pictures really don't do it justice. The other areas are all well laid out, Boardwalk was not quite what i expected but still good, and the acqua theatre was a really good set up, and they also played NFL games and movies there as well. My wife and I each purchased the drinks package, I think it was the Ultimate, and it came with the special soda cup that is part of the soda package, and our sons used that so all in all it was pretty cost effective. It was nice not having to worry about the cost, and I think it worked out pretty well. We found it very useful when on Labadee and develped a taste for the Labradoozie drink which was very tasty, and went down very well in the warm weather. One gripe with the drinks package was that they servied Tisdale chardonney as their first choice. Really? It is like $3 per bottle at Wal Mart, and they are selling it for $9 per glass? Fortunately our drinks package inlcuded better labels, but you always had to ask. Really nickle and diming Royal Caribbean, it is pretty poor. Speaking of nickle and diming, on the first few days, everyone was trying to sell you all matter of things, I thought it was way more in your face than other cruise lines, and kind of cheapened things a bit. After reading so much about how great the food was on RCCL, it was a bit of a let down. It was fine, but certainly no better than our previous 2 cruises on Norwegian and that includes the MDR and specialty restaurants. NCL's creme brûlée and cheese plates are way better than RCCL it is not even close. Service was good, the bartenders were friendly and engaging and for the most part the MDR staff were good as well. Disembarkation was fine, we did a post cruise tour of Miami so got off the ship fairly early without any issues. Labadee, the RCCL island was very pleasant, well laid out and the beach we went to (Colubus Cove) was great. Falmouth is not much other than the shops inside the compound, if you do got out into the town, be careful as you will be propositioned multiple times for all manner of things, it was educational for our sons for sure. We had been to Cozumel before so just wandered doing a little shopping and then back on the ship to enjoy the facilities. Overall, we really enjoyed the ship, and had a really good time, and I think our sons may agree they should have done it sooner! Our youngest son spent a lot of time at the teen's club and made some friends there, our older son was in the "in between" age and luckily was able to keep amused playing basketball, pool volleyball and dodgeball. For a family trip, I would highly recommend, and I am very glad we did this cruise but be warned it is not cheap. Personally, I think that NCL has better value for money when you add everthing up.

Great ship, but not sure value for money is there.

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by holks40

holks40’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

About as good as you can get for an inside cabin. The window overlooking Central Park was quite large and let in a lot of sunlight. Storage room seemed to be a bit lacking but was OK. Water pressure in the shower was excellent, but shower is tight! Bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were pretty poor.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans