Noordam Cruise Review

Noordam Cruise Review by pwuchief

• Sail Date: Dec 2015
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Ok - new Zealand was great - except for Akaroa where we were not able to tender because of high winds (do not book a tour called the Mail Run - they do not refund). All other ports were great and interesting. Fiji portion - well if you have nothing else to do book it - I would not do it again (remember I am from Canada) the best port on that trip had to be Drauni Island, a small island of about 200, if you look back at the old movies with Fiji in them then this is what you will see. The people made you feel at home and welcomed.

Now more on the ship, on the second part the Christmas decorations came up making it more festive nice treat as were heading into Christmas. The Pinical - needs to change their menu basically three items steak and steak and steak (all portions way to big) with a chicken dish and a seafood also think it is getting over prised at $60.00USD. The Vista dinning room all meals good but after a while the deserts were all the same cream in various shapes and forms they need to add texture to the deserts, best I had, had to be the snickers cake, main course all good but to me they need something to kick them up just not sure what presentation of all meals is still very good.

Lastly the STAFF - how they can say EXCELLEANT day after day with their friendly smiles I do not know, wish they would share their secret!!! Get to know them you will be surprised! They start to open up a bit, has to be hard away from family for 10 months. Suggest we serve them (obviously can't do all) on some special occasion say a BBQ on the bow. Not sure if that will ever fly but I think it would be great for us and make them feel appreciated too

This tour had a fast tour of the kitchen which was a great treat - you can spend a few hundred and get a tour of the workings of the ship, to me this was cheap and tacky (nickel and diming). The second week they also raised the daily tip amount from $11.50 to $12.50 pp yet when we booked it was no mention of an increase (did not argue this point as we felt the staff could use it and it was Christmas too)

Also had issue with credits to the Pinical, went to front desk and asked for number of credits and clarification - the number was agreed to - but when the bill came that was not the case, my position in the end was it no longer is what the policy is - you stated this and I booked in good faith on that - in the end they removed the charges. So stick to your guns.

pwuchief's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VD 5151

The room has been the same as the other ships but this one the carpet need's to be replaced, as well as, undelay by the bathroom - major depression there.

Dravuni Island

This island is a GEM, you are greeted by song and dance, they make you feel really welcome and their island is your island. We expected to say about 3 hours based on our other ports but ended up staying 5. We are not beach persons nor snorkelers but we passed the time. Did go for short dip though very refreshing. Not much to do but get to know the locals, walk the hill bring water, they also offered a boat ride around the island about 30 minutes not sure if that was USD or Fiji dollars. Around 11:00 a few set up grill smell really good but did not try, also several places to get a massage by the beach think that was $20. Either way I did not find they tried to rip you off. So save a few dollars and get you last purchases there. there is a 2 room school there and all kids were off for the holidays we brought our turn down chocolates over to the kids.

AS we could not tender in because of high seas and winds this tour operator refused to provide a refund Eastern Bays Scenic Mail Run - think twice if you consider this tour - what is his attitude towards safety vs $$$.

View All undefined undefined Reviews