3. Explorer of the Seas
Being my 7th cruise, 2nd on royal Caribbean, I thought we would have a better cruise than ever. We were disappointed. The good Anything we paid extra for: Giovannis delicious and great service. Chops Grille very nice steak. Johnny Rockets nice too. Cute 50s style diner. We had a nice cabin with a balcony. The cabin stewardess was attentive and maintained the cleanliness throughout. Position near midship ensured no seasickness. Balcony was nice with glass so could enjoy the sea when sitting. Sheltered. The ship cleanliness was great. The ice show fantastic. Good planning of who could go by emergency drill numbers. Crown and anchor gave a nice ice show and a drink for return guests. We went even though we didn't get invited. My sister and husband did so we went with them and were admitted as we were crown and anchor gold members. English pub and staff were good. The piano player in schooner bar fabulous and enjoyable. Could always get a seat at the shows but the shows weren't good so we left early anyway. The second shows had minimal people as everyone would ask the first show goers if it was worth going! The bad We were given a paper left on our bed stating to call a hostess for front row seats to a show. When I called she said that service isn't available. Why leave us that in the first place? Took quite a while to get through customs but not too bad. Constant staff trying to sell drink packages, meal packages etc. annoying +++ Daily 1/2 to 1 hour wait for coffee at Starbucks. Coffee sub standard. Free coffee undrinkable. Tea needed two bags. Sometimes good tea, but not every day. Use of long life milk even when sailing out of major city like Sydney. USA dollar!! Made our expenses at least 30% more even though we were on Sydney-Sydney cruise. Unacceptable. How much does Australia make from us Aussies travelling with Royal Caribbean. Probably not much. Duty free for cosmetics more expensive than Myer, even before conversion from American to Australian dollar. Some Staff surly and rude, especially bar on level 4 near centrum. Staff seemed annoyed having to work. I have never experienced this before. Drink cost excessive. 1 hour wait for breakfast in dining room. Main dining room not open until 8.30, only used one of three floors. Windjammer food all tasted the same. Hard to get a table. Little table service. Trivia in a small bar yet always too many people. Shows only average at best. Bingo expensive. No confidence in middle management or officers listening and acting on our concerns. No free glass as advertised with drink of the day. Given a plastic cup in its place. Arrived at Isle of pines early morning, due to tender process being hopeless actually got off at 1-45pm. Had to be back on within 2 hours. Disgusted. Had a restaurant package paid pre cruise for Chops Grille and Giovannis and by booking Izumis as well we should have been credited $30 each for this. However we needed to go numerous times to the service desk. No one here knew about this. If you are booking and this deal still exists take a screen shot to show them otherwise you will be billed. Izumas on explorer nowhere near as nice as on radiance. Chefs table also nowhere near the same experience as on radiance, although still recommend this despite its cost. Hands down, radiance has better service, food and general overall a better ship. Explorer could not handle number of people. Little extra entertainment around ship. Poor return at casino machines and $US made them costly. I actually won a guessing competition and was so excited but they didn't give me the prize because I was having my dinner at the time. They had my name and cabin number and even told me I won when I arrived 5 minutes into the announcement. This was at the fine jewellery store where we were going to purchase a ring for an anniversary gift. We had already selected it. They missed out on this sale because of this. Being our 25th wedding anniversary celebration that evening we were a little delayed. We have spent our money on a beautiful ring in Sydney since returning which ended up being nicer yet more reasonable. Crown and Anchor knew we were celebrating a special anniversary but made no acknowledgment to it. Children could serve themselves food even though norovirus was about from the previous cruise. Parents should be made to supervise. Art shows had no Australian art. Expensive and ridiculous. Need to have some Aussie advice on what we want from a holiday and adapt a bit.

Some good some bad

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Nugget62

The good

Johnny Rockets nice too. Cute 50s style diner.

The ship cleanliness was great.

English pub and staff were good.

The piano player in schooner bar fabulous and enjoyable.

The bad

Took quite a while to get through customs but not too bad.

Constant staff trying to sell drink packages, meal packages etc. annoying +++

Tea needed two bags. Sometimes good tea, but not every day.

Use of long life milk even when sailing out of major city like Sydney.

Drink cost excessive.

Windjammer food all tasted the same.

Hard to get a table.

Little table service.

Trivia in a small bar yet always too many people.

Shows only average at best.

Bingo expensive.

Izumas on explorer nowhere near as nice as on radiance.

Little extra entertainment around ship.

Poor return at casino machines and $US made them costly.

Art shows had no Australian art. Expensive and ridiculous.

Need to have some Aussie advice on what we want from a holiday and adapt a bit.
Nugget62’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

Good position but a bit of vibration.
Balcony sheltered.
Good stewardess.
Roomy with lots of storage.
Close to stairs at midship so fabulous position to access most areas.
Quiet.