Star Legend Cruise Review

Star Legend Cruise Review by andyonli

• Sail Date: Dec 2015
  • Destination: the Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony Suite

This was our 13th Windstar cruise and the 2nd on the Legend. Many of the comments I will make here I've posted before - after our last cruise in June 2015. Also, I read some recent reviews by others on Cruise Critic and my comments will be somewhat repetitive. I thinks that's fine - maybe someone at Windstar will actually read this and do something.

At the outset, I want to be clear that none of my negative comments pertain to the on board staff. They try. Hard. They work long hours and do what they can. However, I am quite disappointed with Windstar at the corporate level.

First, there is no loyalty program. Because we've cruises with Windstar some many times, you'd think we'd be welcomed back as repeat customers. Nothing! Not even flowers or fruit in the room. And no one at check in said anything. I had this discussion on previous cruises and still nothing changed. I talked to Calvin, the hotel manager. He listened, but nothing happened. The only one that actually did anything was Bianca, the guest relations manager.

Airlines and hotels pride themselves on their loyalty programs. Norwegian has one, so does Seaborn. Not Windstar.

Next, the ship is in bad shape. Tenders were both broken on one day. No matter how good the tender operators are, they can't manage with bad equipment. On one occasion, Windstar had to hire a tender operator and it was so bad, that vessel crashed int our ship and the tender cracked.

There is rust in a lot of places. The brackets in the bathtub holding the hand-held shower were loose.

There really is no attempt to provide activities in the case of rain - which we had daily. Clearly, the weather isn't anyone's fault, but there ought to be some on board contingency plans.

On the plus side, the crew, as usual, was great: Yogi - always a pleasure. Yaya, Lyn, Bobby, all work hard and always smile.

The staterooms (suites) really need sprucing up. I do like the Yacht Cub and AmphorA. Food is better since Chef Michael took over.

Overall, I think we will be taking a break from Windstar. I need to see if management really wants this to be considered a luxury cruise line.

andyonli's Full Rating Summary

Balcony Suite
Cabin BS 306

Not really a balcony. A French balcony. So you can step out side but not sit outside. Mattress has seen better days. Good size closet and bathroom, but shower brackets were loose. And the shower head does point to the middle of the tub. Tough for tall passengers. Good toiletries. Cabin steward was great. Room was kept clean. While we don't go on a cruise to watch tv, choice and reception was poor. There's only 1 AC outlet.

St. Barts

We rented a car on our own and drove around the Island

St. Martin

Fun. But we didn't eat the food we prepared. But it was a good experience

Jost Van Dyke

Prickly Pear beach bar- b-que. Private event. Nice. Nothing special No place to hike, or swim in private

San Juan