3. Independence of the Seas
This was my 5th cruise, 2nd with Royal Caribbean, which was much better than the last on on Majesty (I wrote an extremely critical and bad review for it on this site). Embarkation out of Port Everglades needs to be improved, never-ending lines all over the place, no a/c, Miami's is much nicer and set up better. This was a family cruise for my dad's 60th, so I finally had a balcony (deck 8, 8606) to share with my brother. Having a balcony room was definitely one of the top things about his cruise, having been inside for the last cruises, I finally saw daylight. The room was a nice size with plenty of room for two people. This was the largest ship I've been on, and it didn't even seem really large, many places were easy to get to. Having the Royal Promenade down the middle of the ship was really cool, and an amazing engineering feat to behold. The cruise was also a "holiday" cruise, but the decorations were not gaudy, they were done just right and looked nice. The parade on the first day was a little cheesy, but was a good use of the promenade, and was very engaging. I have never been on a ship with so much to do, never got to do ice skating (saw the show), but did the rock wall, FlowRider and mini-golf. Had a good time with all three. The FlowRider needs help with traffic flow, I waited 30 minutes for one minute on the board, was still fun, but line could have gone quicker. The cruise director Leigh was the best I've had on a cruise, he was funny, goofy and nice to all, and Royal Caribbean should be thankful to have such a great guy as director. The activities manager, Frank was also great. Their best activities were the late night games, The Quest and Battle of the Sexes, those were really fun. Service was really top-notch all around, even the stateroom attendants knew our names, and did a great job. Our assistant waiter was actually better than our main waiter, and even brought us a challah for the Sabbath on Friday night. The food in the dining room was good, but no fish (I know there's salmon every night) on three nights, and the NY strip was not that good. The Windjammer had a much better setup than Majesty and was accessible, but the eggs were a little disappointing On the first day, a bartender told me that RCI raised prices on all drinks by a dollar that day, with Jim Beam costing almost $10! I was not expecting that. I do owe thanks to the myVegas app, WOW sale, and our travel agent, (cousin) because I had $175 of on-board credit and felt no need to get the beverage package as in past cruises, since this was also not a "booze-cruise". The entertainment for the most part was great. There was one comedian, who was not that funny. Went to all of the shows and the performers, and orchestra were excellent. The ice skating show was the best, they did so much in such a small place, it was unbelievable what those performers did! Disembarkation sucked, it took an hour and a half to get to the car from start to finish. We waited in the theater at the time they said, no crew member to found for over 30 minutes. Finally when asked the crew member said for us to wait again to leave the ship, then wait to get bags, and to be processed out.That needs some extra work. All in all, it was a very enjoyable cruise, and I would recommend this ship and stateroom again any time. I will definitely cruise again with Royal Caribbean.

Fun, Relaxing Cruise

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Eagle2006

Eagle2006’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

I finally had a balcony (deck 8, 8606) to share with my brother. Having a balcony room was definitely one of the top things about his cruise, having been inside for the last cruises, I finally saw daylight. The room was a nice size with plenty of room for two people. We actually had an adjoining room with our parents, so at times it felt like a suite.
  Independence of the Seas Deck Plans