3. Sapphire Princess
This was me and my husband's first holiday without the children and the 2nd time we have cruised with Princess. We stayed for 3 nights in Cambodia, then 2 nights in Singapore and then boarded the cruise which called at Brunei, Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh, Pattaya/Bangkok and Koh Samui. Embarkation was easy. Our room was lovely. We had booked a mini suite with a balcony and the room was really big with a walk-in wardrobe. Unfortunately this was the only good thing about the cruise (apart from the itinerary). The food in the buffet was very so-so. Not very hot and not very varied. The food in the main dining room was good, but not on par with the previous Princess cruise when I had trouble deciding what to eat as I wanted everything. This time I had trouble deciding what to eat as there was nothing I really fancied. We ate in the any time dining restaurant one night and missed the baked Alaska parade as they didn't do it in there for some reason. Afternoon was really lovely. The cakes and sandwiches in the Piazza were really nice as well, but unless you had a drinks package you had to pay for tea or coffee there. The main thing that really disappointed me was the entertainment, or lack of. Around the pool on sea days they would just show a film on the big screen. This was OK, but I much prefer music and games, but the layout of the pool area didn't allow this as there was no deck space. Even when they did the ice carving demonstration, it was at the side of the pool, so unless you were right there you couldn't see it, whereas on other ships you can see it from the upper deck. I think there was music at times, but we never seemed to be there at these times. The evening entertainment consisted of a show in the theatre which lasted 30-40 minutes, then the only thing on after this, apart from listening to music in a couple of areas, was a trivia quiz. Every night a trivia quiz. On a couple of nights they actually put on a game show like Mr and Mrs and these shows were really funny and well attended, whereas the trivia quizzes weren't very well attended, probably because people were fed up of hem. Several nights we went back to our room about 10 pm and watched a film as there was nothing else to do. On our previous Princess cruise we would go to the show in the theatre and then go to another show lounge and have party dances and game shows. There was nothing like this on this cruise, even though they did have 2 show lounges. I really missed party dances. The highlight of the cruise for me was the Pop Choir and a special thank you goes out to Abi who was our wonderful conductor. We were both virgins at this and very nervous for our performance on the last sea day, but I think it went well. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Pop Choir. Ports of call: We did a trip through Intrepid Tours in Brunei which was really good. In Nha Trang we did a Princess tour which was so badly organised that we ended up sitting in the theatre for about 1.5 hours waiting to be called to go on the trip. The trip itself was good though. We did a tour through Smile Tours in Ho Chi Minh, which included a trishaw ride, which was fantastic. We decided not to go to Bangkok as it was so far away and instead took the ship's shuttle ($8 each way) to Pattaya, which is like a Thai Magaluf. The Sanctuary of Truth was well worth the visit though. We had booked a tour with Tours Koh Samui for our last stop, which included an elephant ride, and this was excellent. On the whole we really enjoyed our first trip without the children, but the cruise was let down badly by the poor entertainment and food. I had expected the standard that we had experienced with the previous Princess cruise, but this cruise was incredibly poor compared to that one. I would even go as far to say that it was the worst cruise we have been on and I would definitely think twice about booking with Princess again in case all the ships are like this.

Very Disappointing Cruise

Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Rhisibabe

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Asia

Rhisibabe’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Cabin D629
Very large cabin with almost separate bedroom and living room. 2 TVs which was a little pointless in that space. Lovely walk-in wardrobe. Bath in bathroom.
  Sapphire Princess Deck Plans