3. Wind Surf
We have cruised with Norwegian (1), Royal Caribbean (4), and Celebrity (2), including the most modern cruise ships, such as the Oasis of the Seas. This is a very different experience. The ship is small, so they provide you with what you need for your enjoyment, but without redundancy. Unlike the large ships, the WindSurf started from St. Maarten, so each day brought a new island -- there were no dead days at sea. Accordingly, there was no need for on-board entertainment like a rock climbing wall or zipline. The cruise was all about the islands and the people that you met on board. My wife and I went for our 20th anniversary, and we had a terrific time. CABINS: Very comfortable. Well appointed and with more than enough room for two. It was good to have the stocked fridge with soft drinks and ample water. I did not feel nickel and dimed every time I reached for a soda. The only thing missing was a balcony, but it was fine without one. DINING: Excellent food. One the large ships, lavish buffets or other foodstuffs are available 24/7. Not on this ship. You ate during dining hours, maybe picked up a cookie, sweet, or sandwich from the Yacht Club at odd hours, or ordered from room service. Popcorn is available from room service for those nights you decide to get a DVD from their library. Steak at Candles was surprisingly tasty -- I love my steaks, and while filet mignon looked a little thin, it was delicious! The main dining room was very good, with some basics (steak, salmon, chicken), and a rotating menu of other entrees. Stella Bistro was also fine, but I was a bit distracted during dinner there. We had two bbq blow-out meals -- one on pidgeon island, and the other on board. These guys know what they're doing with a grill indeed! Also, a shout out to the special Indian cuisine option one night. Absolutely lovely. MARINA: The stern opens up when the ship anchors at port. It's a great way to spend an afternoon, and you end up meeting other like minded active passengers there. It's one of the best features of the ship, where you can always spend a few hours in the water, whether bouncing on one of the floating mats, or taking out a small sailing catamaran. Only disappointment was that we did not get a chance to waterski or wakeboard. Not sure why it never happened - we were given different reasons. PASSENGERS: With less than 300 passengers on this cruise, we felt that we had met or seen everyone else on the ship at one time or another. Everyone was friendly, and one of the great pleasures was the shared experiences that we had with the other passengers. You cannot imagine how easy it was to make friends on this cruise, as opposed to the big ships where the masses can be overwhelming.

Small Ship Cruising; It's All About the People and the Islands