3. Carnival Breeze
This was my husband's very first cruise and my second cruise. We stayed in Miami the night before (Embassy Suites Miami Airport North), and boarded the ship on Sunday, December 13th, 2015. It's also important to note that we had Faster to the Fun (FTTF) which I will review as well. ***THIS IS LONG, so if you aren't super into details, go ahead and move on...**** EMBARKATION - The port terminal opens at 9:30am, and we were in line for opening at 9:00am. We dropped off our two bags (tipped the porters $5) and then proceeded to the line to enter the terminal. Once it opened, we proceeded to the "check in" where the agents will check your boarding passes and passports, and then we were off through Security. Since we had FTTF, everything was fairly fluid, and we proceeded upstairs to the main terminal and Carnival agent desks. It was easy to spot the FTTF line and we were the first ones in it. I had a lot of Carnival gift cards that I had collected since we booked the cruise (January 2015) so the agent put some on our Sail & Sign (S&S) account (could only be done manually - they cannot be scanned) but we volunteered to head to Guest Services while onboard to take care of the rest to avoid holding up the line of other FTTF guests. We also received our S&S cards here. By 10:00am, we were waiting over by Boarding Terminal B. FIRST BIG TIP, if you have FTTF, go sit near Boarding Terminal A as it is where you will need to be to board the ship. If not, there will be MASSES of people in your way. So, wait near Boarding Terminal A, and Boarding Terminal B if you need special assistance (wheel chairs, scooters in your party, etc). After the wedding parties, Platinum/Diamond, and special assistance passengers were called, FTTF was next up to board. You go through Terminal A, up an escalator, through a couple of queues where your passports, boarding passes, and S&S cards are scanned/checked, and then you proceed to the gangway to board. You board on Deck 3, Lobby/Atrium, right near the Guest Services and Shore Excursion desks. I won't include the 30 minutes we waited outside (as the terminal wasn't open yet) but I'd say from dropping off bags with the porters to actually getting onto the ship - maybe 2.5 hours which is what I expected. So, overall, a crowded, yet smooth embarkation. Only way it could have been faster is if we knew to be on the Boarding Terminal A side beforehand so we could have avoided swimming through so many restless people who were impatiently waiting for their boarding zone to be called. Yes, FTTF was worth it especially for embarkation. OUR STATEROOM AND STEWARDS - We were in a cabin category 8S, Spa Balcony, # 12027. There is a video on YouTube of the cabin itself. Nice room for two people. Plenty of storage space for us, nice subdued decor, and is right around the corner from the Spa/Fitness areas. Great location to spa. Our bottled water from Carnival had already been delivered, and our stewards already knew our names. We had two (a main, and an assistant). LOVED the bed, some of the best sleep I've ever had. Stewards were great the ENTIRE cruise. Always said "hi" and remembered our names even though we couldn't always remember theirs, oops. Can you feel the ship move from this room/deck? Yes, yes you can. You're almost at the top, but you do get used to it. I do have sensitivities to motion, and with Bonine everyday, I had no issues, plus we had a balcony. You tend to feel the waves from the bottom, but on our last night, we did feel the ship sway from the top (which was odd, but it didn't keep me awake). So yes, you can feel the motion, but it doesn't impact your enjoyment. SPA ROOM BENEFITS - Upgraded cosmetics in your room (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap bar, etc) from Elemis (British brand that The Queen uses), unlimited access to all saunas, therapy pool, and thermal suites in the spa, as well as 2 free fitness classes, a DIY scrub kit for use in the spa, and a metabolic body analysis from the fitness professionals. You also get a lavendar/lemon grass linen spray for your bed linens every night. I used that stuff every night and slept like a baby. You also get upgraded robes, and slippers for use at the spa. What did we actually use of the spa benefits? We saved the Elemis products (and will give those away as a set at Christmas), I requested more linen spray from the stewards to take home (they came through!), and my husband and I visited the spa facilities 4/6 days we were on our cruise to relax and unwind. We didn't use any of the fitness perks. HOW THE SPA AND BENEFITS WORK - Make sure you take a tour of the spa, enter the giveaway on the first day, and then check in with the staff on the second floor to get your VIP bracelets that you have to wear each time you visit for unlimited access. You'll give the staff your room card each time you want to use the facility, and they will then give you a white, VIP access card so that you can scan into the saunas and thermal suite each time. If you DO NOT HAVE A WHITE CARD, then you cannot access those areas. So, you have to check in first before continuing onto those areas. FOOD - The only meal I didn't enjoy was the first night in the Dining Room (Sapphire - Your Time Dining). Just wasn't a fan, and the Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake was soupy. However, we revisited that dining room in the days following, and it was much better especially on Formal Night. Other than that, I wasn't a fan of breakfast on Lido. We enjoyed all of the rest of the food that we ate. Ice cream though wasn't quite what I expected, so I only had that once. We ate at the following places onboard: Guy's Burgers (5+ times), Blue Iguana (breakfast and lunch - 5+ times), Lido buffet (3 times), Fahrenheit 555 Steakhouse (1 time), Cucina del Capitano (1 time), Taste Bar/Ocean Plaza (5+ times), Sapphire Dining Room (4 times), Sea Dogs (1 time), Fat Jimmy's BBQ (2 times), Pizza Pirate (5+ times) and I may be forgetting others. We also used Room Service for breakfast twice. Just continental stuff, so nothing outstanding, but it was fine if you needed something quick before an excursion off the ship. We did not try Tandoor or the Mongolian Wok at the Lido Buffet, just too long of a line each time and we didn't want to wait. By far, my favorite place was the Taste Bar, so PLEASE GO THERE! You can sample things from the all of the restaurants around the ship and then decide if you want to spend extra $ or time there. Check there everyday a couple of times a day because they change out their samples to showcase as many places as possible. There's also a smoking area right outside of the Plaza Bar and my husband was there a lot since he is a smoker. THE SHIP - Ship is beautiful and almost brand new (only a few years old). Big, so study deck plans before you arrive. It will help. Otherwise, it's a great way to get some exercise. Elevators can be difficult to get, so we would usually walk down, and then take the elevators up when needed since we were on the 12th deck. Of course, you can do whatever works for you, but we didn't feel like waiting more of the time especially if we wanted to go down somewhere. GUEST SERVICES - Like I said, I had FTTF. So we had a priority line that we used if we needed Guest Services for any reason. I used Guest Services maybe 3 times for various reasons. Never took long for me to receive assistance, and staff members literally left a long line of folks at times, and came over to the FTTF/Platinum/Diamond line. Overall, I had great service from the staff there, and it's a GREAT reason to have FTTF as the lines can be long especially on Embarkation Day and especially on the last day of the cruise when people are settling their bills. PORTS OF CALL - Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT take a private excursion/tour in Montego Bay! I didn't listen to this advice, and because of it, we came VERY close to missing the ship. It's not worth saving a buck on an excursion in port when you don't make it back to the ship on time or you come close to it. Let's be honest, anything you want to do in Jamaica is going to be in Ocho Rios for the MOST part. Ocho Rios is 1.5 hours away from Montego Bay, and that is a LONG time especially if you have traffic (like we did) on the way back, and you're getting closer and closer to the "back on board time." We were nervous wrecks on the way back to the ship in Montego Bay, and we were supposed to be back by 5:30PM. We didn't get back till about 5:25PM, and there were still people behind us trying to get back from their excursions. Work lets out in Montego Bay at 5:00PM, like the United States, and streets are VERY congested, so getting back to port takes EXTRA time. If I could go back, we would have STAYED on the ship, or have taken a Carnival excursion simply so we wouldn't have to worry as the ship will wait for Carnival excursions. Montego Bay and Jamaica in general is not that pretty, and the driving is horrendous. Cars aren't afraid of getting close to other cars or pedestrians. I'm talking passing people in the SAME lane. Grand Cayman is a tender port, and it was a MUCH better experience than Jamaica as you tender into an area that's close to shopping/excursion meet up points, and it's just a better place all around. We walked to our excursion here. You will receive information about where to go to catch the right tender the night before in your cabin. It's super easy, and stress free, so no worries. Cozumel was also beautiful, and we taxied over to Mr. Sanchos Beach Club. Maybe a 10 minute ride. No issues in Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Lots of shopping within close distance, people are nice, things to do are closer to port. HOWEVER, do not expect FTTF benefits in the ports of Jamaica and Mexico. There aren't any, and be sure to get down to Deck 0 early. It's a cluster, you know what, and people don't care at the end about those who have been waiting in line and they just swarm in the direction of people who are moving off the ship. Bring your patience. It gets hot down there, and people who are late, like I said, do not care about lining up single file, and do butt in front of those who were smart and got there early. ENTERTAINMENT ON THE SHIP - We saw the Divas Show, Hasbro the Game Show, and the hypnotist. We also saw the Dive In movies on the last night. Overall, if you're bored on this ship, you are purposefully NOT LOOKING for anything to do and that includes Sea Days. Always something happening, and I loved getting the FunTimes each evening for the next day so I could make plans on what to do/see. Tons of live music as well whether it was outside, in the Atrium, in a bar/club area, etc. Karaoke, etc. Tons of music, and we enjoyed all of the offerings. Lots and lots of trivia and free things to participate in, so not everything costs extra $. Check your FunTimes, and also download the Carnival Hub app! Super handy, and the FunTimes is loaded onto the app everyday so you can see what's happening on-the-go right on your phone. CARNIVAL HUB APP - Super handy! Download it, use it. It's great. I purchases the $25 social media package for the week. Great value, and minus a couple spotty places, it worked GREAT. It comes with access to Facebook (including FB Messenger), Instagram, Twitter, etc. LOVED it. The Hub also gives you access to "What's Happening" around the ship. A $5 chat plan can also be purchased for the week to keep track of people on board, but since it was just my husband and I, we didn't need it. DEBARKATION - You will get special instructions in your cabin the night before debarkation. So you'll know how it works with FTTF, and we were off the ship by 9:00am and on our way to the MIA Airport. FTTF OVERALL - So worth it. Even if it only covered embarkation and debarkation, it'd still be SO worth, but it covers tender ports, Guest Services desk, dinner reservations, etc. If you can afford it, and care about those kinds of things, then IT IS SO WORTH IT. Get it if you are able. Only one is needed PER STATEROOM, so it's not a person by person purchase. Just stateroom by stateroom. Highly recommend it for families with small kids as well who get impatient/hungry quickly because lines can get long, and FTTF lets you skip them all for the MOST part. CRUISE DIRECTOR - Wee Jimmy has taken over for a little while. We loved him. He was very visible and friendly. Loved his accent, and we met him on a couple of occasions. Very nice guy, and yes, he's little in stature :) but big in personality. BEHIND THE FUN TOUR - We participated in the Behind the Fun Tour. VERY interesting. We saw the Galley, had some desserts, met the Master Carver, went backstage at Ovation Theater, visited the Engine Control Room, went to the Bridge and met the Captain, etc. Great for kids who are just curious to ask questions and receive answers from the managers and staff about life on the ship, their lives/contracts, etc. You get a few souvenir photos and merchandise items at the end of the tour as well which was cool. *BIG TIP* I don't know how many people know this, but you CAN email the Shore Excursion staff onboard to have them RESERVE tickets for your party before boarding. As long as you confirm your tickets AS SOON AS YOUR BOARD, your S&S will be charged, and tickets will be delivered to your room at the beginning of the cruise. Be sure to NOT LOSE those tickets. They do collect them before they start to the tour. CRUISE EXPERIENCE OVERALL- We disembarked yesterday and I already miss our balcony, stewards, stateroom, and all of the food. We also received some beautiful pictures from the Pixels Gallery (formal nights), but those weren't cheap. However, they're GREAT photos. GREAT SHIP, GREAT CRUISE OVERALL. I'd love to sail the Breeze again. TIPS, TIP, TIPS - - Make your dining and shore reservations before getting on the ship. So much easier, and keep all confirmation pages! - Bring a travel sized power strip, a few magnetic clips (for paperwork - you get so much paperwork), and order bottles of water from Carnival in advance. 12 packs are $2.99 and they'll be waiting in your Stateroom upon boarding. - Consider Carnival Gift Cards. You can pick them up at Giant Food Stores, Lowes, Kroger, or online (google for the website). Great "savings account" sort of method to use if you don't want to bring cash. WE LEFT THE SHIP WITH A POSITIVE BALANCE, I REPEAT, A POSITIVE BALANCE. All because we saved up for our S&S account all year. We will get the remaining balance on a new Carnival gift card in a couple of weeks so we can then book another cruse :D - If you are like me and don't like the taste of alcohol, try a Kiss on the Lips. SO DELICIOUS. I'd give anything to have another one right now. Hope this review is helpful!

Wonderful cruise, already want to book another!

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by whatwillbeat33

EMBARKATION -

Yes, FTTF was worth it especially for embarkation.

OUR STATEROOM AND STEWARDS -

CRUISE DIRECTOR -

BEHIND THE FUN TOUR -

CRUISE EXPERIENCE OVERALL-

TIPS, TIP, TIPS -

Hope this review is helpful!
whatwillbeat33’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Spa Balcony
Cabin 8S 12027
Beautiful room, very close to the spa. Stewards were so nice, and knew our names immediately for the entire cruise. Loved the room and the spa benefits. I miss it already!
Spa & Sports Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Mr. Sanchos Beach Club
    LOVED Mr. Sanchos! Great place to relax and swim, eat, and drink. Recommend it!
    View All 13,227 Mr. Sanchos Beach Club Reviews
  • Beginner's SCUBA
    Prepare in advance if you have sensitive ears. Glad I tried it, but I wasn't able to "equalize" very well, and the pain was so bad that I couldn't complete the entire experience.
    View All 13,227 Beginner's SCUBA Reviews
  • Private Tour
    Our company was great, but Montego Bay is 1.5 hours away from Ocho Rios and the Jamaican tour attractions. Don't risk missing your ship. Go with a Carnival excursion as traffic getting back to Montego Bay around 4-5pm is horrendous.
    View All 14 Private Tour Reviews