3. Star Legend
If not for the crew, food and beverage servers, and our room steward, our first Windstar "Luxury Cruising" experience would have been a complete disappointment. With that said, my wife and I decided on the Windstar Legend. We were more than excited to board such a "luxury" style yacht for this very special vacation. As we boarded, we were greeted by Captain Richard and Hotel Manager Calvin, which was a very nice personal touch. Our cabin was pleasant and comfortable. We began to walk around the exterior of the ship, and found it not welcoming at all. It seemed like the ship was closed down. There was no water in the pool, lounge chairs were stacked up, and no music was playing. We walked further and began to get a common theme that the Windstar Legend was far from Luxury but was a very weathered yacht. My wife and I looked at each other and I actually asked her if we just made a big mistake and if she wanted to get off before it sailed. We are optimistic people so we went with it... We met amazing people, and the staff could not have done more for us. They were great. Windstar marketing and advertising manager should receive a raise because what is portrayed on the videos and the website is a far cry from reality. The broken ice cream machine/freezer, the aged tenders, the lack of watersports, which was a very big attraction for us, and inflatable zodiacs were completely unacceptable and embarrassing. Tenders were constantly broken, and the drivers were incapable of controlling a tender frequently slamming them into the platforms the days they were in operation. There was actually a day when we had no functioning tenders at all, and elderly passengers with canes were taking the zodiacs back to the ship. This was not safe, and as a result, I was helping to get them on and off the boat. It was ridiculous. Most passengers on the ship felt the same. I heard the couple staying in the owners suite did not have Air conditioning in their room for 3 days and asked to get off the ship. The reality of the situation is that the Windstar Company should be embarrassed to provide their employees with such old broken down equipment. The next consideration for the Legend might be providing the employees with the proper resources to do their jobs. As I stated previously, we had a great time on our Honeymoon, but it was only because of the staff and the wonderful people we met. In fairness to Windstar, I must mention we did voice our concerns with them after returning home and were compensated for our dissapointment.

Embarrassing at Times, A Far Cry from Luxury

Vacanza’s Full Rating Summary
Get Windstar Star Legend price drops

Ocean View Suite
Cabin S2 230
The cabin was very roomy, closet was a very good size. Wood trim was noticeably old like the ship but cabin steward (Dani) was amazing.
Deck 5 Suite Cabins