My wife and I are seasoned cruisers, always at a "luxury level" ie. Regent or Silversea. Due to unexpected health issues we had to change a spring Regent Cruise to the fall. This itinerary stood out but Mariner did not have any PH available. My TA suggested we try Oceania and we are glad we did. It is important to understand that to get maximum enjoyment on O you need to take a little more personal responsibility. All is not handed to you as on RSSC or SS. I'll elaborate a little later. We were extremely fortunate to be able to upgrade from a PH3 to an OS at a discount. I will keep the process between my TA and Prestige confidential, but the offer was made by me, enough said. Since this was an R class ship this upgrade made a huge difference in our enjoyment of the cruise. The extra space and enhanced perks can't be beat. Not to say that the space available in a PH is too small--but close. Positives: Embarkation well done all though after our upgrade we did not have new baggage tags and therefore we waited till late afternoon to see our luggage. Food, I can't say enough good things about the food. We were able to eat basically where ever we wanted. We slightly preferred the MDR to Toscana, Polo was excellent but not our style. Never tried Terrace at dinner, although excellent at lunch. Waves was disappointing due to the ambience. The food was so much better than our last RSSC cruise that we booked on board for a 24 day cruise in the future. Service, Outstanding and with a smile. What an attitude, the crew had an esprit de corps that was almost palpable. Don't know who the hotel director was but a big BZ to him/her. Itinerary fascinating and we made into all our ports. Mariner missed a crucial stop. So what were the problems? Shore excursions were way overpriced and poor into the bargain. We were fortunate that we had been forewarned and joined up with others to do private tours. In our opinion Mozambique should not be on the trip. Dirty and more importantly dangerous. The whole entertainment-enrichment part of the cruise was a bust, too bad because we love port lectures and in a proper theater shows can be fun. Kudos, however to the Romantica String Quartet lovely ladies who performed after dinner each night. We liked the cruise so much that our loyalty moved from RSSC to O. Décor is personal taste but we prefer the European style of O to the neutrality of RSSC. Too bad O can't figure out what to do with their excursions. A serious problem. Personal responsibility, You need to know what you want and when. As stated the excursions are a problem, from an enjoyment perspective having a drink card makes sense; not necessarily financially. For the first time in our cruising career we saw lines to open the MDR. If you wanted a table for two in a certain area you had to plan ahead. Was not a problem for us because we were OS, but certainly raised our eyebrows. Remember as you read this we loved our two weeks. We are not fussy and very private, suited us perfectly!

Wonderful Cruise, with Some Problems

Nautica Cruise Review by newlondon

• Sail Date: November 2015
  • Destination: Africa
  • Cabin Type: Owner's Suite

So what were the problems?

newlondon’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Nautica price drops

Owner's Suite
Cabin OS 6091
Wonderful suite with some vibration. Didn't bother us at all.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins