Britannia Cruise Review

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Britannia Cruise Review by Cantankarous Cat

• Sail Date: Nov 2015
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean

THE GOOD

Thomas Cooke gave us an excellent meal on both our flights, we are vegan.

Cabin (G508) was adequate for sleeping, beds were comfortable, bathroom compact and bijou and balcony superb for drying swimwear.

The launderettes are a marvel and if you do your laundry in the early afternoon nobody is around.

On board security is some of the best I have seen with facial recognition scans in place

Our Steward was MAHENDRA and he was absolutely brilliant, we had clean everything every day, toiletries were all topped up daily. He made us laugh and helped make our holiday.

SIDNEY and ANTONIO in the Meridian Restaurant were excellent and deserve a special mention. We had a splendid rapport going with them and all the Meridian staff.

The lifts were not a problem you always eat far too much anyway, so some exercise is good for you therefore we always used the stairs.

JULIAN SMITH. The man is a marvel, and not to be missed. I don't like the saxophone and I had no idea who he was, I don't live in the UK, but he was fantastic and I am now a card carrying fan, I bought all of his albums and he made my long 48 hour journey home a lot more bearable.

MANUEL MARTINEZ. I'm not fond of magicians and I'd never heard of him but he was hysterical, the magic was basic but the delivery was first class, a very very funny act. Another must-see.

The Fly-Rights were the only people to actually achieve audience participation, they were very good.

The Studio showed some good films.

The tender was really fast and we were ashore within 5 minutes, no waiting either end, brilliant.

THE BAD

After a 9 hour very turbulent flight we were herded into a large shed with no air conditioning. Embarcation took over an hour. My luggage did not arrive until gone 11pm.

On our second day out one of the pools was drained to half way to 'accommodate those who cannot swim', (or so I was told when I asked reception) this pool was hardly used because people thought it was broken or being drained to clear the seepages from the nappies.

Britannia has 3 pools all 15' x 30', hardly sufficient for 3,500 people. With a sign that states that only 24 may use the pool at any one time!!!!!

We are both vegan and I told P & O this upon booking, still the only thing we were served on our first night was chips and a salad. Our second night was rice and noodles and our third noodles and rice. After complaining loudly I was introduced to Vani, a Head Waiteress who did not know what a vegan was until she googled it, and then after that the meals improved vastly. It was pointed out to me that the chef himself was a vegan!!! I have developed a taste for indian food that will remain.

The spa is grossly over priced and the girls were always loitering, looking to drum up trade.

THE UGLY

People reserved sun loungers despite being asked not to, I swam everyday at 6am, and on the 3 at sea days people were there ready with their towels even before I arrived! They even got their own sun-loungers in place.

Children in nappies were in the pools with the expected seepages, again nobody is there to say anything. Large inflatables made swimming in that pool impossible.

There was a large group of about 20 who were loud obnoxious and used foul language all the time, they left food all over the place, split their drinks and even changed a nappy on the table, leaving it on the floor under the lounger, and whilst one picked the spots on anothers back, a third picked her peel and washed it off in the water!!

When we were 'mustering' the lad who was supposed to be telling what to do in the event of an emergency, laughed and spluttered the whole way through his talk. Unacceptable.

People were using the Horizon Buffet dressed only in bikinis/swimsuits with bare feet, no hand washing/sanitizing at all, but then there was no-one to tell you otherwise.

Britannia is a lovely ship, with delightful, helpful ever-attentive crew. Unfortunately she is less like the 5 star Pride of the Fleet that was advertised, and very much more an enormous floating Butlins. Come on P & O you will have to do a lot better if you want to retain your good name.

Cantankarous Cat's Full Rating Summary

Cabin deluxe G508

Mahendra, our steward was superb. We had clean everything every day, the cabin is compact and bijou but you don't spend a lot of time there, so it serves its purpose, the balcony is small but then it too serves its purpose as somewhere to sit and enjoy a cup of tea first thing in the morning or before you go out.

Cantankarous Cat