3. Norwegian Breakaway
We took the Breakaway on the last cruise to nowhere. It was a great weekend! This cruise was a little different since it was just a two day cruise. For instance, there were no porters for luggage. But since it was such a short cruise, people didn't have much luggage anyway. And, when we boarded, we could head straight to our rooms. Embarkation was a mess. They assigned boarding numbers but the people working on the floor were calling different numbers than the ones called over the PA system. That worked to our advantage since our boarding number was 39. We got on when the PA was calling number 10. I've never seen such a disorganized embarkation. I also realize that some of that might not be under NCL's control. The ship is beautiful with some nice public areas. The atrium tends to get crowded though and the flow along the length of the ship can be tight at times as you move through the atrium, shopping area, or casino. The weather was great and we spent time around the pool both days. The adult pool area is nice and they enforced the no kids rule. Not sure why I need to show my room key to get pool towels though. The muster drill was poorly run. Some of the arcade games were allowed to continue and the ship board PA system was useless where we were, near O'Sheehan's, since we couldn't understand a word. There were some other announcements we couldn't hear. A wasted 20 minutes. We left about port an hour late. I don't know why but we got a great view of the NYC skyline when we sailed. I didn't see or hear anything about a sail away party. We had a drink at Shakers before dinner. Very good drinks and music by Angel was good to listen to as well. Dinner in Moderno was fantastic! Not only was the food and service great, we had a table right by the aft window so we got to see the NYC skyline, the Statue of Liberty and the Verazzano Bridge all lit up. Moderno has a great salad bar as others have commented. It was worth the up-charge. We spent some time in the casino but it was too smoky for us to really enjoy it. We went to Howl at the Moon--we really enjoyed the show! It was fun to sing along and it went nonstop. They rotated three people for the two pianos and it was non stop fun. All three are very talented. We had an inside cabin on Deck 11 forward. It was fine. The bed was comfortable and we got good hot water for a shower. It's kind of a long walk to the elevator or stairs though. The next day we had breakfast in the buffet and ate outside on the deck. The weather was great. We explored the outside decks and checked out the casino. Still too smoky so we left after a half hour or so. We had lunch in Savor that was very good. We hung out by the pool in the afternoon. The hot tubs were full. We tried exploring the shopping but the main shop was packed. There seemed to be too few shops for a ship this big. We changed for dinner and stopped by the martini bar again. We had dinner in Le Bistro. We had some champagne to start and a great bottle of wine with dinner. The server asked if I'd like another serving of escargot and I took her up on it. They were great! My steak was overcooked though. We went back to Howl at the Moon it was so fun the night before. It was really fun again. The next morning we had breakfast in Savor and walked off about 9:30. The taxi line was a mess so we left and began to walk to Penn Station. It turns out there is a taxi stand on 12th Avenue right across from the pier so we gat a taxi there and then head home.

Fun Cruise to Nowhere

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by CruiserFromMaine

• Sail Date: December 2015
  • Destination: Nowhere
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom
We took the Breakaway on the last cruise to nowhere. It was a great weekend!

CruiserFromMaine’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Breakaway price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin IC 11423
Good, basic inside cabin. A fairly long walk to elevators and stairs. Soundproofing was ok but not great.
Deck 13 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins