Emerald Princess Cruise Review
1,737 Reviews

Emerald Princess is not the same ship she used to be.

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by dagtoking1

• Sail Date: Nov 2015
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean

The Emerald Princess did not meet my expectations but then again I had sailed on her before in 2008 on a ten (10) day cruise and was comparing it to that. There were many things that I did not love this time around although some of it was good and what you expect from Princess. That being said, we enjoyed our cabins as we had a wonderful cabin steward who kept the place spotless; also we were only one deck below the Lido deck (Riviera) which was convenient. The Pizza on this ship like all Princess ships was the best at sea and the Trident Grill was also very good.

Food in the main dining rooms was largely terrible. It did not take us very long to figure out the Buffet food on this ship was much better than what you got in the main dining rooms so we mostly dined there instead, even on Thanksgiving. The only thing we enjoyed in the main dining room was High Tea which I had never experienced before but will not miss again; it was quite nice. On my last cruise on this ship the food quality and the types of items served were far superior but I guess the backslide is the Cruise Industry in general.

Entertainment was poor. There was one "production show" and the rest was pretty lame. We went to the Crew Show which was entertaining but then the next day at the Cooking Show they trotted out the same crew memeber to sing the same song-boy the saved a lot on entertainment for this cruise. Most of the time there was nothing to do. There is a big focus on the Effy store on the ship and there are frequent raffles. It was really interesting to watch people pile in there for these raffles where one girl stood there in front of the box filling out entry after entry; of course she one two (2) of them as you do when you have entered 100 times. Unbelieveable how they hawk that jewelry.

There were no good movies under the stars and the one night they had one of interest it rained; forget about getting anything good on TV in the cabin. We do like that the Emerald Princess offers complimentary steam and sauna in the men's and ladies locker rooms; this is getting to be a thing of the past with all the new ships having Thermal Suites that must be purchased. We also as always enjoyed the International Cafe. Bar Service was very slow and largely inattentive. Elevators always seemed to have some out of order which meant long waits.

Like any cruise there as good and bad. The main complaints were the food quality in the main dining rooms and the lack of good entertainment although this definitely was not the worst cruise I have been on. Great embarcation and unorganized debarkation; why do people insist on ignoring requests to sit down and take their luggage out of the isle in the waiting areas? Sheesh! My last complaint is the crappy outlet sale that Princess has on the last sail date on every voyage. I have never seen so much overpriced crap in my life. It always amazes me how people line up to buy this junk.

dagtoking1's Full Rating Summary

Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

I did not take an excursion at this Port and embarcation was a breeze.

Cozumel

I did not take an excursion at this port but enjoyed shopping and having margaritas at Poncho's Backyard.

Grand Cayman (Georgetown)

I did not take an excursion at this Port but had some nice shopping experience and purchased liquor. Odd that they do not allow you take it with you.

dagtoking1