3. Norwegian Jade
Our family of eight sailed on Norwegian Jade Nov 28 - Dec 5. My mom gave up a total kitchen renovation to get us all together and we were in the haven suite room 14500. This is a huge expensive area with three bedrooms, large living room with player piano (which we could not use as the volume could not be lowered, it was too loud), dining area, bar and outside has a Jacuzzi, steam room, outdoor eating area, upper and lower decks. It was supper nice. The room steward was so very nice & cheerful. Everything was very clean. This should have been a dream vacation. When making our reservation we were promised that we would be treated like royalty. I prearranged three wheelchairs for embarkation and debarkation. We waited a very long time, being told that 3 were not available all at one time and we would have to wait. My dad got very upset and said he & my mom would walk, letting my sister-in-law have the only wheelchair available. Two more wheelchairs showed up before we reached the ship thank goodness. Then when they were scanning our cards somehow my dads picture was on my brothers card. We were waiting in the cold while they tried to fix this. Finally one assistant noticed my mom & sister-in-law shivering and moved us to the inside of the ship. The cards never really were correct. The beverage and dinner package my dad had was now somehow on my brothers card. We never made it an issue, deciding to handle any charges between ourselves. However couple days into the cruise none of our cards were working so all had to be redone again. Months prior to sailing we filled out medical question forms as we needed a sharps box for insulin needles, we needed distilled h2o for CPAP machines, we needed a seat in the shower for my parents. All these things were suppose to be in place BUT none of it was and we kept having to ask for this stuff as we realized it was not there. Frustrating. I had been emailed asking about the pillow menu among other things...put our order in but again not in place and never did get all that we requested. The ship has mostly European outlets so there was a scramble that took a couple of days to find adapters so we could use our CPAP machines. So be aware to bring adapters if you have any special needs. We had brought extension cords but those were no help. During reservation I was told our 2 birthday people would get cake, decorations with balloons & streamers. They got cake that might feed 4. Later in cruise I told Bruno our concierge about this and he had a belated sugar free cake and decorations done for us. Bruno was the best. I wish I had known from the beginning he was the go to person to make our trip good. Anytime I let him know a problem he worked swiftly to make things correct...for example, We scheduled to eat at the Jasmine, we were there at 5:30 and were among the 1st seated. At 6:30 only 3 of us had had our appetizer. We were due at the theater at 7:00 as Bruno was saving 3 easy access seats for our 3 who can not do stairs. I called Bruno to let him know that we were going to miss the show again due to the very poor service. Immediately he showed up and suddenly we had excellent service and all food served and done by 7:00. I love Bruno. Our Butler was overall pretty good. We opted for room service several times and he delivered and served all still warm. I had a little upset at one point but that was mainly a bit of miscommunication and we managed to iron it out. I delegated my brother as the person to contact for our needs and that worked better. I thought the in room bar liquor was to be in place, I had been told during reservation that we would be greeted with champagne. Liquor had to wait till after out of port, probably at 10 pm...it was not till late the next day that we received it. Reservation people & others need to be told not to set up expectations that can not be met. Expectations I had based on prior cruise with Norwegian which was 15 years ago was that the food and service would be the best. Well boy has things changed. The food was not special and my dad said some of what he had was no better than Golden Corral! What a let down. Also a bust was on our cruise they elected not to do the chocolate buffet which we were all looking forward to. We felt that since it had been advertised that it should have been done. Don't advertise it then remove it if you want. The service in the eating areas was mostly poor. The few who did a good job did not make up for the many that did not. Another thing is that we prepaid gratuity. This being stated would be split to pay the food servers and room stewards. So then why when you go to the specialty restaurants are you charged gratuity? It feels like you are being charged twice. My brother complained about the internet access. He was very upset. There was a crisis at work he could not adequately handle due to the long delays. He said you get charged by the time not the amount of data and that his business partner takes cruises (not Norwegian) and has never had such bad connection. I do want to give high marks to the dolphin encounter excursion in Roatan. I took my 85 year old dad who is blind. Very stressful for me due to getting on and off the tender and then another boat ride. I was terrified he would loose his balance. However once we were there the employees realized he had special needs and two of them helped him out in the water and one stayed with him the whole time and assisted my dad with interaction with a dolphin named Polly. This allowed me to relax and enjoy myself. Thank you so much for your help. My dad had the best day that day and that helped me so much too. That helped to make up for the couple of times I was in tears on this trip. See I wanted this to be the best trip for my parents. They were paying so much and I so wanted them to feel special as they are really wonderful people. I feel Norwegian overall let us down and I am so sad about that. Everything could have been so much better. Oh, then there is the issue with the bill. Everyone in our group got all lumped onto one bill. Each one of us had set up our own account to pay for extras so Bruno helped us get that ironed out. However debarkation day and final bill showed I owed 10.00 that had not gotten on the preliminary bill. Long lines of people and seemed all had issues. All I wanted to do is pay and get the heck out. Several others were stating the same. We thought they should designate a line for people not disputing anything. I hope Norwegian reads the reviews and makes positive changes. They were really good 15 years ago. I just feel so heartsick for my parents who wanted that dream come true vacation for us all and did not get it.

Disappointed