3. Norwegian Jewel
We went on the Mexico Cruise to Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. We had an oceanview room. On my prior cruise, we had a balcony. In my opinion, it was fine to save money and not have the balcony. Nobody really hung out on it anyhow and our picture window was fine. We stayed in room 8106 and there were 4 of us. The room was actually roomier than we had expected. It helped that my son and his gf both slept in the fold down bed vs putting the middle bed trundle up. I have mobility issues and when the trundle bed was in the middle, it was difficult for me to crawl into and out of bed. Once 2 people chose to both sleep in the above bed, it made for more room. They both said it was comfortable for them, but they are young adults. Room 8106 was a great choice, close to elevator, but not much noise. Then, when going to buffet or main dining room, they were only a few floors up or down and you were right there, not much walking required. Also, O Sheehans was close by for a quick snack or meal. Most of the staff were super friendly. I only didn't like one guy from another country, but maybe his humor was a culture thing that I didn't get? We did like that most employees are from other countries and their badge states where they are from. Who could forget the "washy washy" guy? He was a pleasure to see daily at the buffet entrance. There was another guy at the other end of the buffet spraying wash fluid who liked to dance. He was nice and funny too. Our room attendant was great. He had our room tidy daily and made the cute towel animals. Didn't like that when the Captain made announcements, we could not hear them from our room. We had to open the door to hear what he was saying. We ate most meals in the dining rooms which we were told nightly that they had the same menus. We enjoyed most all the food we got from the dining rooms. Some nights we had to wait to be seated, but some nights we got right in. We observed the bingo before we would play. They only play 3 games and the pots were low to me. I play weekly at a local casino and this bingo seemed very boring to me. No dabbers needed, you push thru the paper with your finger if they call your number. They claim large pots of money each night, but you have to bingo in so many numbers to win that and from what we observed, nobody won the larger pots of money. So, we skipped playing bingo all together. They also had instant win games for close to $20 that they claimed you could win up to $2K. By the end of the cruise, they kept saying nobody had won it yet, so buy, buy , buy. We bought several rounds, but the most we won per round was under $10 ea. So, maybe that was just our luck and yours would be different? We also played their Deal or No Deal game. My sons gf won a free photo and my niece won a free instant win card, but no big wins for us again. It was still fun to play tho. The Entertainment was fabulous! The Russian couple, Deja Vu, were amazing! The comedian/magician show was hilarious and we enjoyed some of the other shows they offered. We didn't do the lounge/DJ scene this cruise, but from what it looked like, people who did really enjoyed themselves. Since my cruise was booked thru my local casino deal, we got free drinks while in the ship casino. All the bar staff were friendly, but we especially liked Louie. He took great care of us. We had some fun on the slot machines, money going up and down and then just gone. Didn't really see anybody hitting big, except one lady. Saw her penny machine go up to about 1 thousand dollars. Most people hitting bigger payouts were betting max bets, from my observation. Still we had a good time. There is so much more I could comment on and go into specifics about each port, but that would take too much time to write. Overall, we loved our cruise on the Jewel. Yes, it could use some updates, like new carpeting, but it was still fine. Oh, the beds! They were SO comfortable and the pillows and comforter were so soft and comfortable, we melted into our beds each night. We wanted to take them home with us. To me, a cruise is what you make it for a large part. I could find fault if I was trying to find it. However, we all had a great time and a great trip and we all would go again on the Jewel.

It is what you make it!

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by rxrmomma

• Sail Date: November 2015
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Picture Window

rxrmomma’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

• Glass bottom boat excursion
    For $10 pp, we were taken in an older boat to key places in Cabo, like the Arch and Lovers Beach. The guide narrated the ride and did a great job. We were able to see fish thru the glass bottom boat and we drove past rocks with sea lions on them. For the price, it was money well spent.
    View All 13,278 Glass bottom boat excursion Reviews
  • Los Angeles
    Parking was easy and cost $16 per day. They took credit card for payment. In and out of parking lot went pretty smoothly.
    View All 521 Los Angeles Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Los Angeles Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    RamirosTours took us for a van ride around the city and stopped at key places for us to sightsee. For $25 pp, he drove us around for 3 hrs. He had a great personality and made the ride enjoyable. Took us to the Cathedral, to watch the cliff divers, to the Golden Zone and some other shopping areas.
    View All 49 City Tour Reviews
  • Puerto Vallarta
    The van had a urine smell in it, but I requested to sit in the front seat and it was better. For $25 pp, we were taken to key tour spots and given time to explore. We tried to get Francisco since Ramiro ref'd him,but we actually got another guy who did our tour. Don't recall his name. He took us to a tequilla factory. That was fun!
    View All 963 Puerto Vallarta Cruise Port Reviews