Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by ppcp

• Sail Date: Nov 2015
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Interior Stateroom

Well, after reading some of the previous reviews, I wonder if we were on the same ship. We only boarded in Fremantle, so can't comment prior to this, but we ( all five of us) had a great time. Yes, we had delayed boarding in Fremantle whilst the ship was sanitized because of the gastro virus, but I'd rather late getting on board that sick! Once on board, we found our stateroom on deck 4 to be clean, and our stateroom attendant was fantastic. No towel animals thou, not sure why. There were some precautions in place, such as no self serve in the Windjammer and we couldn't play pool :( but we understood why, and respected that they didn't want anyone to be sick.

We found the staff from ships officers to cleaners to be just as friendly, helpful, and accommodating as ever, in fact our head waiter in the dining room went out of his way to supply something that my wife had asked for, which they made specially for her. We also had one member of our party who required a very special diet, and they made her a special meal every night. That's service.

I would agree that the ship is looking a little shabby, and I noticed that the floors in the Windjammer and some other public areas were not spotless. The tendering in Cairns was probably the biggest complaint that we would have. Some local ferries were used as they were in Bali, but for some reason it took way too long to get off and back on the ship. The ferries seemed to sit forever to get to the ship, and ages to pull away. Something was obviously wrong, and RCL needs to look at that.

The restrictions on serving yourself, pool etc were lifted half way through the cruise, which was good. No one in our party were sick, and as far as we were concerned , the virus was gone. Shore excursions were very expensive, and being in US$ makes it all the more so. $20 US for a very short bus trip to the tourist center in Darwin was a bit rich! The only other negative comment would be about the movies at the Cinema. Some were from the 90's! Plus the TV had the same show running over and over. I know that they want you to order their movies, but at $almost $12 US who would bother. Shorly $5 would be enough? It was a great trip, and very relaxing for us all.

There was one exciting time in the Gulf of Carpanteria when a helicopter was brought in to evacuate a very sick person. Not sure how the patient fared, but hopefully OK. We have another trip booked next year on Voyager, and looking forward to that. I understand how it would be terrible to be sick, but otherwise each trip, cruise or otherwise, is what you make it. I choose to make it as good as it can be.

ppcp's Full Rating Summary

Interior Stateroom
Cabin M 4553

We have stayed on deck 4 3 times before on Radiance. It leads our into the Centrum, which is handy. We stayed on deck 3 last year, and had lots of noise from the dining room, but this time it was very quiet, and clean. Everything worked as it should, and we had no problems with anything.

Geraldton

Nice little town. Very well set out. Visit the HMAS Sydney11 Memorial, very moving.

Bali

We organised our own tour to Ubud and the Monkey Forest. Great trip, but I'm not a fan of Bali. Some people love it though. Indonesia charges $35 USD for a visa even if you don't get off the ship. I think that this should be built into the fare rather than on your sea card.

Cairns

Once again, organised our own trip to Kuranda on the sky rail. very hot again, but a nice trip over the rain forest in a gondola. Town is a bit "hippy" but quirky and lots of interesting markets. Train trip back down is very slow, and hot in the vintage carriages. I would take the gongola both ways.

Darwin

Use the ships shuttle bus, and at $20 USD it was a bit rich. We got on a local bus, and went to the aviation museum at the RAAF base. Lots of history and well worth a visit. very hot though. I'd love to go back and do more things. Nice place.

Australia Zoo

A really nice bus trip out to the zoo, which is about an hour. The zoo itself is fantastic, and probably the best we have ever see. Lots of croc's and other critters. Good show as well. Booked through the ship is very expensive as well, and once again in $US. Come on RCL, how about charging AUD when in Australia!

View All 12 Australia Zoo Reviews
Perth (Fremantle)

We boarded in Fremantle, and had three days there. Really nice place, lots to see.

ppcp