3. Oasis of the Seas
Last spring, we went on the Allure of the Seas and had a fabulous time so we decided to try Oasis in early December which is physically the same ship. However, this time we were not happy. It wasn’t all bad but the negatives ruined the many positives on our one-week cruise. I’m going to divide my assessment into good and bad so let’s start with the good. Before I eventually recommend you consider avoiding Oasis of the Seas, there were many pluses for the week. POSITIVES 1. The ship is physically stunning and beautiful. 2. The staff is fabulous, especially the hard working cabin attendants who apparently work all day long, 7 days a week. 3. Our cabin was very comfortable and the aforementioned cabin attendant made up the beds and cleaned it at least 3 times per day. Unbelievable! 4. The ports, Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten were nice places to visit, with warm and friendly people, but the Nassau visit was a 7 AM arrival with a 2 PM departure. Are you kidding? 5. Except for the show Cats, the entertainment was first class in true Royal Caribbean tradition. The Oasis of the Seas orchestra was phenomenal as were the singers from Cats when they performing in other settings, such as Dazzles. 6. DISCO NIGHT (Wednesday) on the Royal Promenade was the entertainment highlight of the week. It’s a large party where everyone had tons of fun. 7. The two guys from the Comedy Club were hilarious, the ice show was great, and there were some very enjoyable moments in the Jazz Club. They also had an excellent band performing in the Dazzles nightclub. 8. We actually liked the food in the Windjammer Café and the staff in Windjammer is nothing short of fantastic. Some people complained about a lack of variety but I thought they had plenty of choices. 9. The Casino Staff was excellent but not the casino, see below. NEGATIVES Royal Caribbean LIES when they claim they care about the environment because they subject both their guests and employees to a smoke filled den of cancer causing carcinogens in the Casino. They obviously don’t care about the environment of their guests and employees. We love to gamble but our hair, clothes, and lungs were filled with a heavy dose of smoke. One half of the casino is allegedly smoke free but it’s one facility so the entire venue rapidly fills up with cigarette smoke. It’s utterly disgusting, and despite many positives on the cruise, it ruined the week for us. Even if you don’t gamble, the Casino is in the heart of Deck 4 where all the entertainment venues are located. That means you’re constantly walking through the casino to get to and/or from one venue or another. Once again, if Royal Caribbean really cares about the environment, they would make the Casino SMOKE FREE. I can’t believe in the 21st Century, that R.C. would allow a small minority of passengers to contaminate the air for everyone on Deck 4. On the Allure of the Seas, we loved the Broadway caliber show “Chicago” and were looking forward to seeing Cats, but it was a major disappointment. More than half of the audience left during intermission. The cast is very talented but the show is a loser. But we did enjoy watching the excellent cast members perform in the Dazzles nightclub and on the Royal Promenade during Disco Night. For us, the food in the dining room was poor quality and/or mediocre at best. Everyone has different tastes in food but we didn’t enjoy it. We’re very basic eaters, we don’t like fancy food, but even we had trouble finding something we liked. You might like it but don’t expect anything great. Of course the dining room staff was very attentive but they can’t make bad food taste good. Although we liked the choices in the Windjammer Café, finding a free table at the buffet with 5,700 passengers on the ship was a never ending challenge. And here’s a trivial complaint. I like whole grain cereal such as Raisin Bran but it was missing in action at breakfast. They had Total which is a good choice but it was hard to find as was Peach or Strawberry yogurt. It seemed as if the only yogurt available was blueberry. And I also love bananas, yet for the most part, they were green all week. When you eat so much food on a cruise, one must work out so I went to the very nice Fitness Center every day from Sunday through Friday. Unfortunately, the cardio Life Fitness machines were not properly maintained. I understand mechanical items will periodically fail but there were far too many in that category. On my first visit to the Fitness Center, I had to try 3 elliptical machines before I found one which functioned properly. On Wednesday I literally counted 14 Life Fitness machines which were out of order and some others which didn’t function properly. Out of order means they weren’t working at all while malfunctioned meant you could use it but you couldn’t select the desired mode such as manual or interval. On Thursday, some of the 14 out of order machines were fixed but several were still out of order. That’s unacceptable. Exiting the ship in Ft. Lauderdale was a nightmare. R.C. tries their best to divide up departure times to improve the flow but the laws of physics cannot be overcome. When 5,700 passengers try to go through U.S. Customs within a 2-hour time frame, it’s an horrendous experience. We were on a never ending serpentine line dragging our luggage for almost an hour.

Avoid Oasis of the Seas

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by btrtbt

POSITIVES

1. The ship is physically stunning and beautiful.

9. The Casino Staff was excellent but not the casino, see below.

NEGATIVES

btrtbt’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas price drops

Cabin 9-502
Very nice and roomy. The Cabin Attendant works so hard 7 days a week repeatedly keeping our cabin in perfect condition.
  Oasis of the Seas Deck Plans