3. Carnival Imagination
This was my first cruise. Please see below for my review of each aspect of the cruise (cabin, service, food, etc.) We went on the Ensenada only cruise. I am a single 35 year old female and had an amazing time with my friend and my parents. We went on the cruise for the experience and I can say with much confidence that we all loved it. I went in early December so the evenings offered a chilly breeze, but the day time was perfect where I didn't even need a sweater, and I usually run on the cold side. The food was great quality and delicious. I was pleasantly surprised by the size of our cabin and bathroom. The customer service was outstanding and the embarkation and disembarkation process went smoothly with little to no inconvenience compared to what you might experience with airport travel. Parking and Embarkation It was easy to find the parking structure. Just head toward the Queen Mary and follow the signs. We arrived around 1:00 pm to the structure and there were very few other cars driving around the area. It is not congested like at an airport. Drive to where it says Luggage Drop Off if you have a lot of luggage. If you drop off your luggage, you will drive up to the curb, someone will take your bags for you. Be sure to tip this person. They take your bags and then you go find a parking spot in the structure and then go into the terminal. The next time that you see your bags will be when they are sitting outside of your cabin door in the hallway. This system made me a little nervous because your bags are out in the open in a busy public hallway. It is a good idea to not pack anything super valuable. Otherwise you can just park and roll your bags into the terminal. You are allowed to start embarking on the ship at 3 to 4 hours before the ship leaves. So I recommend that you arrive to Long Beach around the time that you are able to start embarking, to avoid lines. The process and having our bags screened and checking our passports was smooth. They don't let you take on bottled water, not even empty water bottles (This is a Customs policy, not a Carnival policy). But you can take up to 12 cans of soda. They take your picture and give you a Sign and Sale card that serves as your pass on and off the ship. It also serves as a credit card. With the exception of the casino, you pay for all of your purchases on the boat with your Sign and Sale card. Your balance then gets charged to your credit card on file at the end of the cruise. You wont be able to go straight to your room. We waited about 2 hours or less for our room, which was fine because we were enjoying lunch at the buffet. You know when your room is ready when your try to open it with your Sign and Sale card and the door opens. Cabin The cabin has plenty of space for 2 people. My room had 2 twin sized beds, that could convert into a queen if you ask your room steward that is assigned to your room. The bathroom was a good size too. The sink and toilet were full sized. The shower was the best. The hot water came out hot really fast and you could even adjust the hot water to hotter if you prefer. The water pressure is great; really strong. I wish I had that here at home. The cabin was clean. They clean your room 2 times a day. There is one electrical outlet in the room. You can take a surge protector on the ship if you have multiple devices that you need to plug in. I took a surge protector to plug in my Flat Iron and charge my camera phone and regular camera at the same time. There is an AC but I did not see a heater. Fortunately, it did not get too cold in my Ocean View room. My room was at the very back of the ship and the view was spectacular. There was no complimentary water in my room. However, there was a 2 liter of water in my room with a purchase tag on it for 3.75. I wasn't going to pay for that so I called up for room service to bring me 2 glasses of ice water every night. Room Amenities There was no hair dryer that I saw or a heater. There is an AC, but it is not strong. There are 2 bathroom robes. I saw several people walking around the ship in theirs! There is a TV with 20 channels. There are chairs to sit on and 2 mini night stands. A really nice sized vanity with great lighting. Ample closet space. A free safe to use. There was not a refrigerator or a microwave. You can bring your own cooler if you need one, or you can rent theirs. Shampoo and Shower Gel dispenser in the shower. Food/Room Service There is food available 24/7. I'm a big time foody and I was very impressed with the food. The variety, quality, and selection was great. I recommend the Anytime Dining so that you can walk into the fine dining restaurant whenever you are ready to. Fine dining offers a menu of appetizers, desserts, and entrees. You can order more than one of each at a time if you want since the whole cruise is all you want to eat. I ordered two appetizers and 2 desserts one evening. Allow about an hour and a half to eat dinner because service isn't very fast, but it is not terribly slow. If you don't want fine dining, you can also eat is the other dining area, which is buffet style. There are very good food choices there too. There is also a place outside near the pool that serves hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos, and rotisserie items like round steak and chicken, and Mongolian wok type food made to order. Room service was great and best of all, free! They offer sandwiches and desserts. For additional money, you can buy other items like a chicken quesadilla or chicken fingers. I ordered room service all 3 nights and it took about 15 minutes to get my sandwiches and iced water. I loved it! Entertainment The entertainment was good. I went to a comedy show. There seems to be more things to do at night after 7 pm. The music all over the ship was incredible. Good music like R&B/Funk, disco, 80's, 90's, some county, some Latin. I was dancing the whole time all over the ship, all by myself, and nobody was staring at me funny, because that is what a lot of people do! The ship offers a lot of half hour shows to keep you entertained. I went to most of them and was pleased with them. The pool They have a DJ at the pool playing today's hits and yesterdays favorites. They even take requests. There is a dance floor near the pool and plenty of places to lounge. The pool itself isn't very big. I think its 4 feet deep. The Jacuzzi was too small for as many people that wanted to be in it. I stayed away from the pool and Jacuzzi the whole time because it just didn't look like the right environment for me, and also because there were too many other things to be enjoying. Weather I expected it to be very cold in December, but it wasn't. The days were very nice, like 70 degrees. The nights were chilly outside and I needed a light sweater. I stayed inside the ship at night most of the time, so I didn't need to carry around a sweater. The weather in Ensenada was perfect, around 75 degrees; I didn't wear a sweater. The sky was bright blue and the sun was out. The weather on our Day at Sea was the same way. I wore a t-shirt and was fine dancing outside on the highest deck. On Shore Excursions I was nervous about taking my parents around Ensenada on my own, so I booked the City and Shopping tour with Carnival. I was happy with the choice. The excursion offered a nice variety for our day. We met in a lounge on the ship and the tour guide greeted us and took us off the ship, through customs, and to the large 40 passenger bus. We drove to the former casino and were offered a margarita or Coca-Cola. There were about 12 vendors selling souvenirs. Our tour guide gave us a tour of the casino and then gave us about 20 minutes to enjoy our drink and shop. We then went to a Wine shop (not a winery) and they let us sample 4 different wines and cheese and olive oil. We were there for about 35 minutes. I don't drink so my Dad and I walked across the street to a few pastries shops; it seemed safe to do that and the guide didn't mind. We then went to the shopping district and were given 1 hour to shop. We had enough time to sit at a restaurant on the corner where we were dropped off and have some fish tacos. We then went shopping for souvenirs. It was just enough time for us. You have the option to stay behind and shop if 1 hour is not enough time for you. Just let your tour guide know and she will tell you where to get a shuttle back to the boat for one dollar. The shuttle is right on the corner at the McDonalds on the street where the bus drops you off. Thinking back, I would have been okay with taking this option, but my parents have ambulatory issues and so going back on the bus with the tour guide was the best option for us. I would recommend the City and Shopping tour for anyone who wants to get a little sample of Ensenada without the stress of having to figure out what to do or how to get places safely and timely. I recommend that you book the early excursion at 9:30 so that you have plenty of time to get back to the boat and enjoy the ship. If you decide to leave the guided tour and stay shopping in the district, you have to be back on the ship by 5:30. If you stay with the tour guide, the whole excursion is 3 hours and she will take you back to the boat by around 1:15. There are about 10 shops outside of where the boat docks. I did most of my shopping here, only because they were last minute purchases and I didn't have the time constraint. If you plan out ahead of time who you want to get souvenirs for and roughly what you want to get them, then that will be helpful with managing your time when you are shopping on the guided tour. Disembarkation I recommend that you watch the information on embarkation that they have playing on your room's TV. We had a lot of bags, so we chose to have them checked in to the ship. We put our bags in the hallway at night and they took them around 12am. You need to be out of your room by 8:30, but they serve a very nice breakfast. You wait around for them to call your group number to be able to leave the ship. We ate breakfast around 8:45, we were called around 9:20. You go through Customs again, which there was a line, but it only took about 15 minutes. After that we picked up our luggage that was there waiting for us, very clearly marked and quick and easy. Be sure to add a ribbon or something that will help you identify your luggage from the rest because it is grouped with other peoples' luggage who were staying on your same cabin floor. A worker was there to offer us assistance with our luggage. They take it to the same place were you drop your luggage off at the begging of your trip. You then need to go get your car, exit and pay for your parking, and then loop around to pick up your luggage. Be sure to tip the guy who brought your luggage before you go off to get your car. If you don't need help, you can just take all your luggage to your car. Customer Service Was great on the ship. Everyone was courteous and professional. My only issue was the photo department. They will take pictures of you throughout your trip and you have the option to buy them. After they take your picture, they print and display your pictures. You need to find your printed picture, which is easy but can take some time. When I found my picture, it had finger prints all over it. I then notice a worker handling the pictures and putting her fingers right in the middle of the pictures. I know that they are processing literally thousands of pictures, but they should wear gloves or be trained to handle them more carefully. I requested for my picture to be reprinted and they did that but I had to come back more than 24 hours later to pick it up. It was the most inconvenient part of the trip, which isn't too bad when you think about it. Passengers There were kids on this ship, but it didn't seem like there was a whole lot for kids to do. The cruiseline does try to make the cruise entertaining for kids though. There is a good amount of drinking going on, but I would not consider this a booze cruise. There are a lot of large groups that cruise together to celebrate birthdays and family reunions. There is a lot of diversity among the passengers and the crew. I wouldn't consider this to be the kind of cruise where the passengers are rowdy and obnoxious. I think this cruise has something to offer most everyone. Seasickness I do get seasick and was concerned about being sick on this trip. I stayed at the very very very back of the ship, which is not the best place to stay for people who get seasick. The center of the ship is the best. I could feel the ship's movement the most. I took Bonine 24 hours before my trip started at night time. During the cruise, I always took Bonine at night, because it does make you drowsy. This worked for me and I didn't get seasick at all! I had also purchased some ginger concentrated lozenges that I found near seasick medicine at CVS, but I didn't use those. They might be helpful to some people. Just the Bonine was enough for me. The casino They have slot machines, roulette, and other table games.They take cash at the tables on the Imagination or you can play using your Sign and Sale card. I played with cash, because it was just easier. Health and Safety There were no seat covers on the ships public restrooms. Bring your own. There were hand sanitizing stations throughout the ship. There is a safety disaster drill at the beginning of the cruise. They will make you come out of your cabin for it, so be prepared. The drill took about 25 minutes of our time, which wasn't too bad since we are all vacation with nowhere else to be for the next 72 hours! Watch your step because there are little lifts all over the ship, in particular, when you are going from the indoors to the outside of the ship. You will find yourself telling your group "watch your step" often. Even in your cabin the bathroom floor is about 5 inches raised from your room floor, so you have to really be careful to raise your feet when you step up into the bathroom and when you step down, especially since there will be times when the boat is rocking and your balance can be slightly thrown off. There is a decent sized gym and a sauna.

Detailed overview: Trip was fabulous; cruise to Ensenada only.

Carnival Imagination Cruise Review by bigtimefoody

bigtimefoody’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Imagination price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 6D U 228
The cabin has plenty of space for 2 people. My room had 2 twin sized beds, that could convert into a queen if you ask your room steward that is assigned to your room. There are two mini night stands, a chair, a vanity with great lighting in the cabin. Plenty of closet space.The bathroom was a good size too. The sink and toilet were full sized. The shower was the best. The hot water came out hot really fast and you could even adjust the hot water to hotter if you prefer. The water pressure is great; really strong. I wish I had that here at home. The cabin was clean. They clean your room 2 times a day. There is one electrical outlet in the room. You can take a surge protector on the ship if you have multiple devices that you need to plug in. I took a surge protector to plug in my Flat Iron and charge my camera phone and regular camera at the same time. There is an AC but I did not see a heater. Fortunately, it did not get too cold in my Ocean View room. My room was at the very back of the ship and the view was spectacular. There was no complimentary water in my room. However, there was a 2 liter of water in my room with a purchase tag on it for 3.75. I wasn't going to pay for that so I called up for room service to bring me 2 glasses of ice water every night. Overall, I was very happy with the cabin.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins