3. Norwegian Epic
Our family of 8 cruised on the NCL Epic Thanksgiving week. We had a mini-suite and our grown kids had balcony rooms. The shower in our room was huge! Over five feet long! I enjoyed having the toilet separate from the shower and the sink outside of both. The opaque walls were odd, even though I knew in advance what to expect. You could not use the toilet with guests in the room. My son and his friend found this to be somewhat embarrassing and so was the fact that they requested twin beds and with the strange "wave" configuration of the room, the beds were made separately but they were still touching! I agree with another reviewer that the elevators were quite slow and always full. We were on Deck 9 and using the stairs to go to Deck 5 or 6 for dinner wasn't so bad but climbing back up all those stairs was tough. We also went to the Garden Café on 15 for breakfast most days and always had a 5-10 minute wait for the elevators. We had cruised on NCL two years ago but they had made a few changes in that time. I'm still not a fan of "Freestyle" cruising and they have made it even less "free". You now have to make reservations for everything! Main dining room, all shows, all specialty restaurants, tenders, etc. EVERYTHING. Six of us had the all inclusive dining package and dined at Cagney's, Le Bistro and the Italian restaurant. All three of those were very good. We were very disappointed with the Main Dining Room, Taste, The Noodle Bar. The Thanksgiving dinner was so bad that none of us could eat it and ended up getting chicken strips in the pub. Having the beverage package that covered all sodas, beer, wine & liquor was the best "extra" on this trip. No need to carry on your own wine for a corkage fee and no worries of ending up with an enormous bill at the end of the cruise. Best idea ever! My husband (57) loved the four waterslides. Even though the weather was in the 50-60 range he had a great time sliding and warming up in the hot tubs. We did not have our Grandkids with us on this trip but the kids on board always looked like they were having a great time. They had a full basketball court to play different games on as well as a very cool looking climbing area to a corkscrew slide. All the 20-somethings wanted to play on it! My husband & I went to the Epic Showroom to see the show "Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and "Burn the Floor". We loved "Burn the Floor", the dancing was fabulous and it was very entertaining. I should have done my homework and found out what "Priscilla" was about but as a theater season ticket holder, I was excited to see a new Broadway show. The talent was top-notch, the costumes were great but the storyline was not family friendly nor entertaining to us (they did announce twice that it wasn't appropriate for children but many parents had their young children stay for the show). There are so many other musicals that would have been better choices than "Priscilla". We did not book any of our excursions through the ship. I used CruiseCritic recommendations again to book private excursions for our group and all three were exactly what we signed up for-Excellent! Amalfi Coast/Pompeii, Rome & Private guide at the Vatican and Florence with Private Guide. We walked around Cannes and took the small little train tram (7euro) and in Palma we walked to the castle and cathedral (closed at 3pm) and taxied back to the ship. Our time in Palma was cut to only 5hrs and since it was the nicest day we wish we could have enjoyed it a bit longer. Those in the group that used the gym said it was very good (quite large with lots of equipment, treadmills, bikes, weights, etc). With all the walking we were doing every day I did not have the energy for a full workout as well. My son and his wife had the Couple's Massage and said it was terrific. They especially enjoyed the private Jacuzzi with sea views. Embarkation/Disembarkation went very smoothly. No major lines or wait times for either. Overall it was a great vacation. We're glad we arrived in Barcelona on Friday which gave us time to sightsee in this beautiful city and adjust to the nine hour time difference from California. We're looking forward to our next cruise-Alaska.

Loved the Ports of Call!

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by lovetogobyebye

lovetogobyebye’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 9081
Very clean, firm bed, couch/3rd bed was uncomfortable for sitting. More than enough storable/closets. Nice TV with not enough channel choices-something other than soccer would have been nice. Nice décor, not too "beachy".
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    Two day pass for two routes. Able to get off and stay as long as we wanted at any stop. Red Route on Friday as a couple, Blue Route on Saturday-group of 8. Loved the History museum and general overview of the city sites.
    View All 249 City Tour Reviews
  • Amalfi Coast
    Great driver on a very treacherous road! Carmine was a gregarious man full of love for his city and countryside. He made many stops for us to take photos and told us much about the history of the area.
    View All 262 Amalfi Coast Reviews
  • Pompeii Walking Tour
    Livo had lots of information about Pompeii and spoke very clearly and perfect English. The walk was too much for one in our group so he sat in the small café. Wish we would have seen more instead of the same house, bar, house, bar. Very rushed at the end to see the casts of the bodies and did not see any of the pool areas.
    View All 455 Pompeii Walking Tour Reviews
  • Private Tour
    The perfect start to our family vacation! On time pick up and drop off, very clean vehicles, excellent drivers and historians. Carmine set the bar very high for all other tours.
    View All 84 Private Tour Reviews
  • Sorrento
    Lots of road work so limited time in town. Also started raining for Carmine took us to a local olive oil company (Gargiulo) for a tasting. Sorrento was all decorated for Christmas and was quite charming.
    View All 154 Sorrento Reviews
  • Private Tour
    On time pick up and drop off, clean new vans. Driver did an excellent job keeping us moving and on time in order to see all the sights of Rome. Colloseum, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Circus Maximus, Spanish Steps, St. Peter's and more!!
    View All 140 Private Tour Reviews
  • Vatican Museums
    3 hour tour with Isabella. Perfect guide, lovely woman with a clear voice. You can tell she loves her work and she is an artist as well. A very knowledgeable guide though the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. I would highly recommend her.
    View All 127 Vatican Museums Reviews